Weekend Preview - Coming Together
Mississauga, ON - The Mississauga Steelheads will play three games this weekend against the Ottawa 67's, North Bay Battalion and Erie Otters as the playoff race continues to tighten in the Central Division. The Steelheads are coming off a 1-1-1-0 week, picking up a win against the Kingston Frontenacs, a point in overtime against Barrie and a loss to the Kitchener Rangers.
Since returning to the lineup from an injury on January 17th, no team has been able to slow down Cole Schwindt. The Kitchener, ON native has registered 21 points (8G, 13A) in 10 games, recording a point in each game. Schwindt was a 3rd round pick (#81 overall) of the Florida Panthers in the 2019 NHL Draft, and looks more and more like a future NHL star with every game he plays.
James Hardie has quickly developed into one of the most feared goal scorers in the OHL, scoring 24 goals in his last 26 games dating back to November 27th. The 2020 NHL Draft eligible prospect registered 6 points (3G, 3A) in 3 games this past weekend, including the game winner in the final minute of play against the Kingston Frontenacs on Sunday.
Aidan Prueter hasn't lost his scoring touch since he returned to the lineup on January 31st. The London, ON native has recorded 8 points (4G, 4A) in 5 games since returning to the ice, including a career-high 4 points in a game against the Sudbury Wolves. Prueter was originally acquired by the Steelheads in a trade in January 2019 and continues to improve his game each month.
Mississauga currently sits in thirdplace in the Central Division, three points behind the leading Sudbury Wolves and one point ahead of the Barrie Colts. Sudbury will play three games this weekend against Sarnia, Niagara and Peterborough while Barrie will play three games against Niagara, North Bay and Kingston.
The Steelheads will start the weekend with a Valentine's Day game against the Ottawa 67's, at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre on Friday night.
The Ottawa 67's (41-8-0-0) are currently ranked as the top team in all of Canada, in the most recent Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings. They are led by 2020 NHL Draft prospects Marco Rossi, having registered 94 points (30G, 64A) in 43 games, and Jack Quinn, having registered 75 points (44G, 31A) in 49 games. Amongst teams in the OHL, Ottawa ranks first in goals scored, goals against and Power Play %.
Mississauga will have a rest day on Saturday before heading up north to play the North Bay Battalion, for a Sunday afternoon game at the North Bay Memorial Gardens.
The North Bay Battalion (11-38-2-0) currently sit last place in the Central Division, having dropped eight of their last nine games. They are led by 2020 NHL Draft eligible prospect Brandon Coe, who has registered 48 points (18G, 30A) in 49 games, as well as overage forwards Luke Moncada and Shane Bulitka.
The Fish will wrap up the weekend with an afternoon game on Family Day at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre against Jamie Drysdale and the Erie Otters. Drysdale, a defenceman, was a member of the gold-medal winning Team Canada at the recent IIHF World Junior Championships in the Czech Republic. NHL Central Scouting recently ranked Drysdale as the third best player eligible to be selected for the upcoming draft amongst all skaters in North America.
UPCOMING PROMOTIONAL SCHEDULE
Friday, February 14th 7 pm vs. Ottawa 67's (Valentine's Day Game)
2 tickets and 2 drink tickets for $35
$3 off domestic tall cans
Monday, February 17th 2 pm vs. Erie Otters (Family Day Game)
Thomas Harley Bobblehead Giveaway
Post-game skate & autograph signing
4 tickets, drinks and popcorn, and souvenir programs for just $67
For tickets to the Steelheads Valentine's Day Game or Family Day Game, please visit the Box Office, purchase online through ticketmaster.ca or by calling 905-502-9100.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from February 14, 2020
- Fronts Left Brokenhearted on Valentine's Day - Kingston Frontenacs
- Generals' Moms Power Comeback, Greyhounds Finish It in the Shootout - Oshawa Generals
- Attack Outshoot Storm 40-14 But Can't Beat Daws in 2-0 Defeat - Owen Sound Attack
- Perfetti Nets Hat Trick as Comeback Effort Falls Just Short - Saginaw Spirit
- Firebirds Knock-Off First-Place Saginaw Friday, Set Record for Most Wins in a Season - Flint Firebirds
- Steelheads Go Head to Head with Nation's Best - Mississauga Steelheads
- Rangers Get Doubled up by the Knights, 6-3 - Kitchener Rangers
- 67's Win a Wild One in Mississauga to Kick-Off Long Weekend - Ottawa 67's
- Uberti Scores Twice in a 5-3 Valentine's Day Loss to the Bulldogs - Niagara IceDogs
- Captain Nurse Ices A K9cup Victory For Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Spitfires Hold On, Win 6-5 over Kingston - Windsor Spitfires
- Game Preview: Greyhounds Race to the 'Shwa Tonight at 7:35pm - Oshawa Generals
- Steelheads Team up with Trillium Health Partners for New School Night - Mississauga Steelheads
- Sting & WIse Guys Pizza Partner to Add to "Sting Experience" - Sarnia Sting
- Game Day Preview: Spirit Welcome the Return of Paul 'BizNasty' Bissonnette Friday at the Dow - Saginaw Spirit
- Weekend Preview - Coming Together - Mississauga Steelheads
- Spitfires Take Season Series with Win in Peterborough - Peterborough Petes
- Spitfires Beat Petes 7-3 - Windsor Spitfires
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississauga Steelheads Stories
- Back in the Win Column
- Steelheads Can't Slow Red Hot Firebirds
- Weekend Preview - Coming in Hot
- Mississauga Steelheads to Host Mental Health Awareness Game in Partnership with CMHA Peel Dufferin, Presented by Teachers Life
- Fight the Cold Coat Drive Presented by A1 Air Conditioning and Heating