Spitfires Hold On, Win 6-5 over Kingston
The Spitfires headed to Kingston for a matchup with the Frontenacs. This was the first matchup this season with Kingston with he 2nd matchup scheduled for March 1st.
In the first period, the play was languid and it took almost fifteen minutes to get the games' first goal. Kingston struck first but the Spitfires responded with two goals of their own. Boka scored his 16th of the season and Purboo got his 19th of the season giving the Spitfires a 2-1 lead after the first period. Shots were in favour of the Spits 16-9 after one period.
In the second frame, it was Afanasyev crashing the net and burying his 24th of the season to make it a 3-1 Spitfire lead. Kingston responded with a goal to make it a 3-2 game. But the Spitfires restored the two-goal lead with a powerplay tally by D'Amico, his 20th of the campaign. However, that was short-lived. Kingston scored to make it a 4-3 game. Nevertheless, the Spitfires scored just one minute later to make it a 5-3 game. With forty seconds left in the 2nd frame, Kingston scored and made it a 5-4 game. The Spitfires led in shots 30-16 after 40 minutes.
In the third period, Kingston tied it up 5-5 just nine minutes into the period. However, with just over four minutes left Angle found the puck in front and roofed it over the goalie to make it 6-5, it was Angle's 25th on the season and the game-winner! Spitfires went on to hold the 6-5 lead and take the two points.
The Spitfires' next game is Sunday, February 16th at 2:00 pm in Ottawa as they take on the 67s. The Spitfires' next home game is February 18th at 7:00 pm when we take on the Sarnia Sting in our annual Mickey Renaud game.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from February 14, 2020
- Fronts Left Brokenhearted on Valentine's Day - Kingston Frontenacs
- Generals' Moms Power Comeback, Greyhounds Finish It in the Shootout - Oshawa Generals
- Attack Outshoot Storm 40-14 But Can't Beat Daws in 2-0 Defeat - Owen Sound Attack
- Perfetti Nets Hat Trick as Comeback Effort Falls Just Short - Saginaw Spirit
- Firebirds Knock-Off First-Place Saginaw Friday, Set Record for Most Wins in a Season - Flint Firebirds
- Steelheads Go Head to Head with Nation's Best - Mississauga Steelheads
- Rangers Get Doubled up by the Knights, 6-3 - Kitchener Rangers
- 67's Win a Wild One in Mississauga to Kick-Off Long Weekend - Ottawa 67's
- Uberti Scores Twice in a 5-3 Valentine's Day Loss to the Bulldogs - Niagara IceDogs
- Captain Nurse Ices A K9cup Victory For Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Spitfires Hold On, Win 6-5 over Kingston - Windsor Spitfires
- Game Preview: Greyhounds Race to the 'Shwa Tonight at 7:35pm - Oshawa Generals
- Steelheads Team up with Trillium Health Partners for New School Night - Mississauga Steelheads
- Sting & WIse Guys Pizza Partner to Add to "Sting Experience" - Sarnia Sting
- Game Day Preview: Spirit Welcome the Return of Paul 'BizNasty' Bissonnette Friday at the Dow - Saginaw Spirit
- Weekend Preview - Coming Together - Mississauga Steelheads
- Spitfires Take Season Series with Win in Peterborough - Peterborough Petes
- Spitfires Beat Petes 7-3 - Windsor Spitfires
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.