Watson Wows, But Miracle Falter In Extra Innings
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Tyler Watson tossed a season high 7.1 innings and Royce Lewis went deep for the first time this season, but the Miracle fell to the St. Lucie Mets, 2-1, in 10 innings on Friday night at Hammond Stadium.
Watson surrendered one run on four hits. He walked one and struck out four.
Lewis' towering blast onto the berm in left opened the scoring. But the lead was short lived. In the top of the second, St. Lucie tied the game when Nick Meyer bounced into a double play with runners at first and third and no one out.
The game remained tied at one until the top of the 10th inning. With one out and a runner at third, Carlos Cortes laced a double down the right field line to give St Lucie the lead. The Miracle went down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the 10th.
Hector Lujan (1-2) took the loss after surrendering an unearned run in 2.2 innings of work.
The three-game series continues on Saturday night in Fort Myers. Melvi Acosta (2-0, 2.96) will make a spot start for the Miracle. First pitch is set for 6:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Jupiter Crashes Coquis Comeback, 8-6 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Daytona Takes Seesaw Opener as Tampa Drops Fifth-Straight - Tampa Tarpons
- Early Deficit Too Much for Threshers against Stone Crabs - Clearwater Threshers
- Late Outburst Pushes Tortugas to Win, 8-6 - Daytona Tortugas
- Dunedin's Offense Held in Check in 3-1 Loss to Lakeland - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Mets Clip Miracle 2-1 in 10 Innings - St. Lucie Mets
- Stone Crabs Power Past Clearwater 12-4 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Watson Wows, But Miracle Falter In Extra Innings - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Dunedin Opens a Four Game Series with Lakeland - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Fri, May 17 at Clearwater - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Threshers Rally for Walk-Off on Thursday - Clearwater Threshers
- Diaz Launches Three Home Runs In 13-7 Win - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.