Diaz Launches Three Home Runs In 13-7 Win
BRADENTON, Fla. - Lewin Diaz blasted three home runs and drove in five to lead the Miracle over the Bradenton Marauders, 13-7, on Thursday night at LECOM Park.
Diaz became the first player in Miracle history to hit three home runs in a game. He bumped his season total up to six, all of which have come in the last 10 games.
The third home run for Diaz, a solo shot, broke a 7-7 tie in the top of the seventh. The game was delayed due to rain for 46 minutes in the top of the eighth.
Fort Myers had 16 hits in the game and 10 went for extra bases. They took a 3-0 lead in the top of the first on an RBI triple by Trevor Larnach and RBI doubles from Jose Miranda and Ryan Jeffers. After Bradenton came back with a pair in the bottom of the inning on Chris Sharpe's home run, Fort Myers scored two more in the third on the first home run of the night by Diaz.
Lucas Tancas hit a solo homer for Bradenton in the fourth and Diaz launched another two-run blast in the fifth to put the Miracle up, 7-3. However, Robbie Glendinning hit a game tying grand slam in the bottom of the frame off Calvin Faucher, who had just entered the game with two out for the Miracle.
The Miracle pulled away late with a three-run homer from Aaron Whitefield in the eighth inning and a two-run double by Ryan Costello in the ninth. Costello drove in seven runs in the four-game series. The Miracle took three out of four.
Faucher (1-0) picked up the win in relief. Anthony Vizcaya entered for one out in the bottom of the seventh and then had to wait about an hour before he threw his next pitch due to the rain delay. He completed a seven-out save, his fifth in as many opportunities, and struck out five.
The Miracle pitching staff struck out 54 Bradenton hitters in the series. Fort Myers (25-14) remains in a first place tie with Palm Beach in the FSL South. Bradenton dropped to three games back.
The Miracle return home Friday to open a three-game series and five-game homestand against the St. Lucie Mets. Left-hander Tyler Watson will start for Fort Myers. First pitch is 6:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Jupiter Crashes Coquis Comeback, 8-6 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Daytona Takes Seesaw Opener as Tampa Drops Fifth-Straight - Tampa Tarpons
- Early Deficit Too Much for Threshers against Stone Crabs - Clearwater Threshers
- Late Outburst Pushes Tortugas to Win, 8-6 - Daytona Tortugas
- Dunedin's Offense Held in Check in 3-1 Loss to Lakeland - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Mets Clip Miracle 2-1 in 10 Innings - St. Lucie Mets
- Stone Crabs Power Past Clearwater 12-4 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Watson Wows, But Miracle Falter In Extra Innings - Fort Myers Miracle
- Dunedin Opens a Four Game Series with Lakeland - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Fri, May 17 at Clearwater - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Threshers Rally for Walk-Off on Thursday - Clearwater Threshers
- Diaz Launches Three Home Runs In 13-7 Win - Fort Myers Miracle
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.