Jupiter Crashes Coquis Comeback, 8-6
KISSIMMEE, FL: A six-run deficit was too much to overcome for the Coquis de Florida on Friday night as the Jupiter Hammerheads held on for an 8-6 victory at Osceola County Stadium.
Jupiter used the even-numbered innings to build their lead. Lazaro Alonso homered to left in the second. An RBI triple for recently activated Nick Fortes scored Isael Soto to bump the advantage to 2-0 in the fourth. A four-run sixth, highlighted by Connor Grant's two-run ground-rule double, pushed the Coquis deficit to 6-0.
All the early damage came off RHP Freddy Tarnok (1-3). He surrendered eight hits and five earned runs with five punchouts in 5 and 1/3's innings on the mound.
Jupiter starter RHP Edward Cabrera (3-1) looked completely unflappable through his first five frames, fanning nine Coquis and permitting just one hit and a single walk. He was pulled three batters into the sixth.
Izzy Wilson (single) and Riley Unroe (double) combined to bring in the first Coqui run of the evening. After Riley Delgado singled, William Contreras doubled home two runs off new pitcher RHP Vincenzo Aiello to make it 6-3. An infield RBI single from Garrison Schwartz plated Contreras to round out the busy inning; 6-4 Hammerheads.
After Jupiter scratched across two more runs in the top of the seventh, Florida battled back to get two of their own. Greyson Jenista ripped an RBI single to right, scoring Unroe. On the same play, Alonso threw the ball away, enabling Delgado to come in and cut the Hammerheads lead to 8-6.
Freshly activated RHP Ryan Shetter gave up the two Jupiter seventh-inning tallies, scattering five hits and collecting three strikeouts. RHP Walter Borkovich tossed a scoreless ninth.
A cannon of a throw from Unroe stopped Nick Fortes from recording the first inside-the-park homer of the season against Florida in that scoreless ninth frame. He also went 2-5 at the plate while scoring twice.
Riley Delgado had his fourth three-hit game of the season, going 3-5 with two runs scored.
NEXT UP: The Fire Frogs send RHP Jasseel De La Cruz (2-1, 2.84) to the mound against LHP Will Stewart (1-3, 7.57) on Saturday night at the Pond. The middle game of the series is scheduled to start at 6 p.m.
Purchase your tickets now: https://www.milb.com/florida/tickets/single-game-tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Jupiter Crashes Coquis Comeback, 8-6 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Daytona Takes Seesaw Opener as Tampa Drops Fifth-Straight - Tampa Tarpons
- Early Deficit Too Much for Threshers against Stone Crabs - Clearwater Threshers
- Late Outburst Pushes Tortugas to Win, 8-6 - Daytona Tortugas
- Dunedin's Offense Held in Check in 3-1 Loss to Lakeland - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Mets Clip Miracle 2-1 in 10 Innings - St. Lucie Mets
- Stone Crabs Power Past Clearwater 12-4 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Watson Wows, But Miracle Falter In Extra Innings - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Dunedin Opens a Four Game Series with Lakeland - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Fri, May 17 at Clearwater - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Threshers Rally for Walk-Off on Thursday - Clearwater Threshers
- Diaz Launches Three Home Runs In 13-7 Win - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.