Warriors Reach 7-0 Record by Surviving Northern Arizona Suns 99-92
SANTA CRUZ, CA - The Santa Cruz Warriors (7-0), who only suited up eight players, beat the Northern Arizona Suns (2-5) tonight, 99-92, in front of a sold-out crowd at Kaiser Permanente Arena.
Lead guard Darius Morris led the Warriors with a game-high 26 points on 9-of-17 from the field (52.9%) and 4-of-6 from deep. Morris sealed the game with a pull up three with 11 seconds remaining, putting the Warriors ahead for good.
Suns guard Peter Jok led Northern Arizona with 24 points on 52.9 percent from the field (9-of-17 FG), while forward George King contributed 17 points on an efficient 8-of-13 from the field (61.5%). Guard Daniel Dixon led all reserves with 18 points for Northern Arizona tonight.
Santa Cruz scorched the Suns in the first quarter by holding a 14-3 rebounding advantage, and guard Michael Gbinije led the way by scoring 11 points on a perfect 4-of-4 from the field, including three from behind the arc.
Despite leading by as many as 24, Santa Cruz let Northern Arizona back in the game by tying a team record with 31 total turnovers tonight, including nine in the third quarter to ignite a 15-0 run over a five minute span. Despite holding a 6-1 turnover advantage, Santa Cruz survived thanks to a clutch block and fast break dunk by forward Juan Toscano-Anderson and a layup and three by Morris to seal the game.
The Warriors will host a Black Friday matchup on November 23 (tip-off 7:00 PST, NBC Sports Bay Area Plus) against the Salt Lake City Stars at Kaiser Permanente Arena, with the first 1,500 fans to arrive receiving a Limited Edition Kevin Durant Bobblehead. For information on tickets for Friday and all Warriors home games, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 19, 2018
- Northern Arizona Suns Donate 192 Turkeys to Yavapai Food Bank - Northern Arizona Suns
- Tonight's Game Between the Santa Cruz Warriors and Stockton Kings Game Rescheduled for February 20, 2019 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Santa Cruz Warriors Guard Darius Morris Earns NBA G League Player of the Week - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stockton Kings Reschedule Game against Santa Cruz Warriors and Announce Additional Fire Relief Efforts - Stockton Kings
- Tonight's Game Between the Santa Cruz Warriors and Stockton Kings Rescheduled for February 20, 2019 - G League
- Austin Spurs Obtain Returning Rights to John Holland and 2019 Second Round Pick - Austin Spurs
- Charge Acquire Jaron Blossomgame - Canton Charge
- Rio Grande Valley Vipers to Host 'FangsGiving' on November 21 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Jaylen Adams Transferred from Erie to Atlanta - Erie BayHawks
- Warriors Reach 7-0 Record by Surviving Northern Arizona Suns 99-92 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stars Fall to Lakers in First Game of Road Trip - Salt Lake City Stars
- Suns' Late Comeback Push Stalled by Warriors - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Recovery Resource Center at Kaiser Permanente Arena to Reduce Hours
- Kaiser Permanente Arena to Serve as Polling Site for 2020 General Election
- Kaiser Permanente Arena to Become Recovery Resource Center for Victims Affected by the Czu Lightning Complex Fire
- Santa Cruz Warriors Awarded 2019-20 NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Award for Sea Dub Classics Program
- Santa Cruz Warriors Raise over $5,000 for Community Foundation Santa Cruz County COVID-19 Local Response Fund