Austin Spurs Obtain Returning Rights to John Holland and 2019 Second Round Pick
AUSTIN, TX - The Austin Spurs, presented by SWBC, announced today the team has acquired the returning rights to John Holland and a 2019 second round pick from the Canton Charge in exchange for Jaron Blossomgame.
Holland (6-5, 205) became the first-ever two-way player on the Cleveland Cavaliers when he signed with the Cavs on Sept. 8, 2017. The guard/forward played 24 games in Cleveland over the 2017-18 season where he averaged 2.3 points and 1.0 rebounds in 7.3 minutes. During his time with the Canton Charge, the Cavs G League affiliate, Holland averaged 17.9 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 32.8 minutes over 24 games. Holland appeared in one game this season with the Cavaliers before being waived on Nov. 9.
The Boston University product was the NBA G League Impact Player of the Year during the 2016-17 season after appearing and starting in 37 games for the Canton Charge. He averaged 22.9 points (seventh in the league), 4.7 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 1.5 steals in a league-high 38.9 minutes per game while shooting .481 from the field, .346 from beyond the arc and .881 from the foul line.
Holland also spent the 2015-16 season in Canton, averaging 16.0 points, 3.1 rebounds and 2.0 assists in 30.2 minutes over 37 games. He received a Gatorade NBA Call-Up from the Boston Celtics before the 2016 NBA Playoffs and made his NBA debut in the first round against the Atlanta Hawks. He also spent time in the NBA with San Antonio during training camp in 2014.
The Bronx, New York native played professionally in France, Spain and Turkey as well as represented the Puerto Rican national team after spending four years at Boston University.
Blossomgame was originally selected by the San Antonio Spurs with the 59th overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft and has spent the last two seasons with Austin, helping the Spurs capture the G League Championship last year. Blossomgame attended training camp with San Antonio this season before returning to Austin, where he has averaged 23.7 points, 7.7 rebounds and 3.0 assists in 36.2 minutes over six games.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 19, 2018
- Northern Arizona Suns Donate 192 Turkeys to Yavapai Food Bank - Northern Arizona Suns
- Tonight's Game Between the Santa Cruz Warriors and Stockton Kings Game Rescheduled for February 20, 2019 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Santa Cruz Warriors Guard Darius Morris Earns NBA G League Player of the Week - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stockton Kings Reschedule Game against Santa Cruz Warriors and Announce Additional Fire Relief Efforts - Stockton Kings
- Tonight's Game Between the Santa Cruz Warriors and Stockton Kings Rescheduled for February 20, 2019 - G League
- Austin Spurs Obtain Returning Rights to John Holland and 2019 Second Round Pick - Austin Spurs
- Charge Acquire Jaron Blossomgame - Canton Charge
- Rio Grande Valley Vipers to Host 'FangsGiving' on November 21 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Jaylen Adams Transferred from Erie to Atlanta - Erie BayHawks
- Warriors Reach 7-0 Record by Surviving Northern Arizona Suns 99-92 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stars Fall to Lakers in First Game of Road Trip - Salt Lake City Stars
- Suns' Late Comeback Push Stalled by Warriors - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Spurs Stories
- San Antonio Recalls Chimezie Metu from Austin Spurs
- Austin Spurs Fall to Memphis Hustle 120-106
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs
- Austin Spurs Defeat Northern Arizona Suns 91-81
- Austin Spurs and Toyota of Cedar Park to Hold Annual Season of Giving Game December 15