Warriors Forward Terrence Jones Selected For USA Basketball Training Camp
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. - USA Basketball announced today that Warriors forward Terrence Jones is one of 14 NBA G League players selected to participate in the USA World Cup Qualifying Team training camp, beginning Thursday, February 15. The official 12-member USA Basketball World Cup Qualifying Team is expected to be announced on Tuesday, February 20 to play in the World Cup Qualifying first round, second window games in Santa Cruz on Friday, February 23 against Cuba and Monday, February 26 against Puerto Rico.
Jones has also been named to the NBA G League USA team that will participate in the G League International Challenge during NBA All-Star Weekend. The Challenge is an exhibition game scheduled for Sunday, February 18 at 1:00 p.m. at the Los Angeles Convention Center, featuring USA G League players and the Mexican National Team.
"Terrence has been a consummate professional and a terrific teammate since joining the Santa Cruz Warriors, and I'm happy for him to receive this opportunity to take part in USA Basketball's World Cup Qualifying games in front of our fans at Kaiser Permanente Arena," said Santa Cruz Warriors General Manager Kent Lacob. "Along with his participation with the G League USA team at NBA All-Star Weekend, Terrence will have the chance to once again shine on the international stage."
With 232 games of NBA experience with the Houston Rockets, New Orleans Pelicans and Milwaukee Bucks, he is one of eight USA Basketball World Cup Qualifying Team training camp members with NBA experience and one of ten with international playing experience. In ten games with the Santa Cruz Warriors this season, Jones is averaging 18.0 points, 6.6 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.60 blocks in 29.3 minutes.
The 12 players selected to the USA Basketball World Cup Qualifying Team on February 20 will continue their training at Kaiser Permanente Arena in Santa Cruz on February 21 and 22 before the team's game on Friday, February 23 against Cuba (tip-off 8:00 p.m.), The team will host additional training times on February 24 and 25 before the team's second and final game of the World Cup Qualifying first round, second window on Monday, February 26 against Puerto Rico (tip-off 8:00 p.m.).
Tickets for both USA Basketball World Cup Qualifying games at Kaiser Permanente Arena in Santa Cruz are available by visitingsantacruzbasketball.com, calling (831) 713-4400 or stopping by the Santa Cruz Warriors front office on 903 Pacific Avenue in downtown Santa Cruz.
"The USA Basketball World Cup Qualifying Team Committee has assembled for our February training and games a versatile group that has a nice mix of youth and experience," said USA Basketball Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Head Coach Jeff Van Gundy. "We persevered to win a very difficult game against Puerto Rico in November, and Cuba is also very talented and hungry for a win. We will face significant challenges in both of the upcoming games and I'm hoping that playing in Santa Cruz will give us a strong home court advantage."
Team USA currently owns a 2-0 record and sits atop of the FIBA Americas World Cup Qualifying first-round Group C standings after defeating Puerto Rico 85-78 on Nov. 23 and Mexico 91-55 on Nov. 26. Puerto Rico (1-1) and Mexico (1-1) currently list tied for second in the Group C standings, while Cuba (0-2) is fourth.
In the third and final first-round window of the World Cup Qualifying, the USA will play two away games, at Mexico on June 28, 2018, and at Cuba on July 1, 2018.
For more information on the Santa Cruz Warriors 2017-18 season, presented by Kaiser Permanente, please visit www.santacruzbasketball.comor call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 8, 2018
- Warriors Forward Terrence Jones Selected For USA Basketball Training Camp - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Taylor Braun Selected to Attend February USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp - Salt Lake City Stars
- Hustle Waive Trahson Burrell - Memphis Hustle
- Underdog Gets the Win as Delaware 87ers Top the Westchester Knicks by One-Point Margin - Westchester Knicks
- Legends Guard Kyle Collinsworth Signs with Mavericks - Texas Legends
- Stockton and Harrison Selected for USA Basketball Training Camp - Reno Bighorns
- Legends Struggle in Salt Lake City - Texas Legends
- Wolves' Rally Falls Short in Austin - Iowa Wolves
- Austin Spurs Win Matinee Thriller over Iowa Wolves 114-112 - Austin Spurs
- Drew II, Gee Selected to USA Basketball Training Camp Roster - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Rodney Purvis Named to Team USA - Lakeland Magic
- NBA G League USA Roster Unveiled for 2018 NBA G League International Challenge - G League
- Detroit Pistons Recall Brice Johnson from Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- McKinney Jones Invited to USA Basketball World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Travis Wear Chosen to Attend February USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp - South Bay Lakers
- Perrigo Partners with Grand Rapids Drive for Third Annual Jersey Takeover Game - Grand Rapids Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Stuff the Bus School Supply Assembly Event - Saturday , August 4
- Harlem Globetrotters Tickets on Sale Tomorrow, July 31
- Golden State Warriors Sign Guard Damion Lee to Two-Way Contract
- Harlem Globetrotters Return to Santa Cruz for November 2 Exhibition
- Warriors Waive Chris Boucher