Legends Struggle in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY, UT (Feb. 8, 2018) - The Texas Legends (21-15) dropped an early matchup to the Salt Lake City Stars (11-27) 85-90 Thursday afternoon in Utah.
The two teams kept it close with a total point differential of 15 and 15 lead changes. Salt Lake City took their largest lead (+9) in the second but Texas pulled within two heading into the locker room. A three-point play from Jameel Warney put Texas in control early in the third and a late run gave the visitors their largest lead before the Stars tied it up at the buzzer. The final 12 minutes saw six lead changes, but the Legends were held to 18 points and the Stars came out on top for their first win in the 1-2 season series.
Warney led the way for Texas in his 18th double-double of the season with 18 points, 11 rebounds while JJ Avila added 13 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 steals off the bench. Xavier Johnson had a season-high 17 rebounds and Jordan Downing added 17 points off the bench in his second appearance with the team.
Naz Mitrou-Long (17 points, 13 rebounds, 9 assists) neared a triple-double and Diamond Stone (16 points, 11 rebounds) added the team's other double-double to help close out the visitors.
Texas continues their road trip with a 9pm CT tipoff in Santa Cruz Friday night. Fans can catch all the action live at www.TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 8, 2018
- Warriors Forward Terrence Jones Selected For USA Basketball Training Camp - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Taylor Braun Selected to Attend February USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp - Salt Lake City Stars
- Hustle Waive Trahson Burrell - Memphis Hustle
- Underdog Gets the Win as Delaware 87ers Top the Westchester Knicks by One-Point Margin - Westchester Knicks
- Legends Guard Kyle Collinsworth Signs with Mavericks - Texas Legends
- Stockton and Harrison Selected for USA Basketball Training Camp - Reno Bighorns
- Legends Struggle in Salt Lake City - Texas Legends
- Wolves' Rally Falls Short in Austin - Iowa Wolves
- Austin Spurs Win Matinee Thriller over Iowa Wolves 114-112 - Austin Spurs
- Drew II, Gee Selected to USA Basketball Training Camp Roster - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Rodney Purvis Named to Team USA - Lakeland Magic
- NBA G League USA Roster Unveiled for 2018 NBA G League International Challenge - G League
- Detroit Pistons Recall Brice Johnson from Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- McKinney Jones Invited to USA Basketball World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Travis Wear Chosen to Attend February USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp - South Bay Lakers
- Perrigo Partners with Grand Rapids Drive for Third Annual Jersey Takeover Game - Grand Rapids Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.