McKinney Jones Invited to USA Basketball World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - USA Basketball today announced the 14 players, including Fort Wayne Mad Ants guard, Trey McKinney Jones, who will participate in the USA World Cup Qualifying Team training camp Feb. 15-20.
Joining McKinney Jones to contend for a roster spot will be: Taylor Braun (Salt Lake City Stars); Semaj Christon (free agent); Larry Drew II (Sioux Falls Skyforce); Alonzo Gee (Sioux Falls Skyforce); Aaron Harrison (Reno Bighorns); Terrence Jones (Santa Cruz Warriors); Rodney Purvis (Lakeland Magic); Xavier Silas (Northern Arizona Suns); David Stockton (Reno Bighorns); Rashawn Thomas (Oklahoma City Blue); Marcus Thornton (Canton Charge); Travis Wear (South Bay Lakers) and Devin Williams (Maine Red Claws).
Through 25 games this season, McKinney Jones is averaging 11.6 points, 2.9 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game.
The training will be used to select the 12-man team for the USA's World Cup Qualifying first round, second-window games including Cuba on Feb. 23 and Puerto Rico on Feb. 26 in Santa Cruz, California. The player selections were made by the USA Basketball Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Committee.
The USA official, 12-member USA team is expected to be announced following the Feb. 20 evening practice. The USA World Cup Qualifying Team will continue its training in Santa Cruz on Feb. 21, 22, 24 and 25.
The USA will host two home games during the second window of the FIBA World Cup Qualifying first-round. The USA men will play Cuba on Feb. 23, and Puerto Rico on Feb. 26 in Santa Cruz on the home court of the G League Santa Cruz Warriors - Kaiser Permanente Arena. Both games are scheduled to tip at 8 p.m. PST.
The USA currently owns a 2-0 record and sits atop of the FIBA Americas World Cup Qualifying first-round Group C standings after defeating Puerto Rico 85-78 on Nov. 23 and Mexico 91-55 on Nov. 26. Puerto Rico (1-1) and Mexico (1-1) currently list tied for second in the Group C standings, while Cuba (0-2) is fourth.
Thirteen of the USA players and the USA coaching staff have been named to the NBA G League USA team that will participate in the G League International Challenge. The Challenge is an exhibition game featuring the USA G League players versus the Mexican National Team. The game is scheduled for Feb. 18, 1 p.m. PST, during the NBA All-Star Weekend and will be held at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
The Mad Ants return to action on Saturday night at the Maine Red Claws. Tip is set for 7 p.m. and can be seen on Twitch.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 8, 2018
- Warriors Forward Terrence Jones Selected For USA Basketball Training Camp - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Taylor Braun Selected to Attend February USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp - Salt Lake City Stars
- Hustle Waive Trahson Burrell - Memphis Hustle
- Underdog Gets the Win as Delaware 87ers Top the Westchester Knicks by One-Point Margin - Westchester Knicks
- Legends Guard Kyle Collinsworth Signs with Mavericks - Texas Legends
- Stockton and Harrison Selected for USA Basketball Training Camp - Reno Bighorns
- Legends Struggle in Salt Lake City - Texas Legends
- Wolves' Rally Falls Short in Austin - Iowa Wolves
- Austin Spurs Win Matinee Thriller over Iowa Wolves 114-112 - Austin Spurs
- Drew II, Gee Selected to USA Basketball Training Camp Roster - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Rodney Purvis Named to Team USA - Lakeland Magic
- NBA G League USA Roster Unveiled for 2018 NBA G League International Challenge - G League
- Detroit Pistons Recall Brice Johnson from Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- McKinney Jones Invited to USA Basketball World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Travis Wear Chosen to Attend February USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp - South Bay Lakers
- Perrigo Partners with Grand Rapids Drive for Third Annual Jersey Takeover Game - Grand Rapids Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Mad Ants Stories
- 2018 NBA G League Elite Mini-Camp Player List Unveiled
- MVP Lorenzo Brown Headlines 2017-18 All-NBA G League First Team
- Fort Wayne Mad Ants Fall to Erie in Eastern Conference Semifinals
- DeQuan Jones Named NBA G League Most Improved Player
- GM Brian Levy Second in NBA G League Executive of the Year Voting