Warren, Brogdon Slam Door on Birds; Claws Win 5-4
LAKEWOOD, NJ - The BlueClaws Dynamic Bullpen Duo of Connor Brogdon and Zach Warreneach threw two scoreless innings as Lakewood held off Delmarva 5-4 on Sunday night at FirstEnergy Park in the penultimate game of the regular season.
With the win, the BlueClaws improve to 46-22/87-50 and can tie the 2006 BlueClaws with a 47-win half should they win the regular season finale on Monday afternoon. Lakewood also improves to 16-6 against Delmarva (32-34/67-66) this year and is now 36-14 in their last 50 games.
Brogdon, who has allowed three ER in 30.1 innings since the break, threw the sixth and the seventh while Warren, who has allowed two earned runs in 26.1 innings since the break, threw the last two to earn his 15th save.
The BlueClaws jumped out to an early 3-0 lead. After an error on Cadyn Grenier, Matt Vierlinghad a two-run single and Jose Antequera an RBI single to put the BlueClaws ahead.
Madison Stokes' RBI single in the third put the BlueClaws up 4-0 before Jake Scheiner's SAC fly in the bottom of the fourth put Lakewood up 5-1.
Delmarva rallied for three runs, though only one was earned, off Damon Jones in the fifth. The inning included RBI singles from Mason McCoy and Cadyn Grenier.Jones, who improved to 10-8, came out after five, allowing four runs though only one was earned.
Brandon Bonilla (0-4) gave up five runs, one earned, in five innings and took the loss.
Jose Antequera went 2-3 and scored twice in the win for the BlueClaws while Matt Vierling drove in two.
The BlueClaws will learn their playoff opponent on Monday. They'll play West Virginia if the Power beat Charleston and they'll play Kannapolis if the Power lose and Kannapolis wins at Hagerstown. Game One is Wednesday on the road and Game Two is Friday at FirstEnergy Park.
The teams finish the regular season on Sunday at 1:05 pm. After the game, fans are welcome to stay for the Post-Game Fan Photo on the Field.
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws congratulate each other on a win
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from September 2, 2018
- 'Claws Bullpen Stifles 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Warren, Brogdon Slam Door on Birds; Claws Win 5-4 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Kennedy Razor Sharp in Final Start of 2018 - Asheville Tourists
- De Paula and Baragar Combine for 16 Strikeouts in Loss - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Game Story (): Drive Ride Early Lead to Victory on Sunday - Greenville Drive
- Legends Can't Stop Drive and Fall 7-2 - Lexington Legends
- Semple, RiverDogs Top Playoff-Hopeful Power - Charleston RiverDogs
- Crawdads Fall in Close Game to Greensboro - Hickory Crawdads
- Nunez Hurls Quality Start in One-Run Loss - West Virginia Power
- Suns Snap Six-Game Skid with 4-1 Victory Sunday Afternoon - Hagerstown Suns
- Power on Edge of Playoffs - West Virginia Power
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (september 2) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.