Semple, RiverDogs Top Playoff-Hopeful Power
CHARLESTON S.C. - Charleston righty Shawn Semple struck out seven in a second straight quality start in his Riley Park debut, as the Charleston RiverDogs prevented the West Virginia Power from popping the proverbial champagne for at least another day with a 3-2 victory in front of 4,926 on Sunday evening.
As the RiverDogs (63-72, 30-37) eclipsed 300,000 fans for the second time in franchise history, Semple (2-0) made his encore appearance after delivering six scoreless innings with 10 punchouts in his RiverDogs debut at Columbia on August 27. The University of New Orleans product allowed both Power (71-61, 34-32) runs in the sixth but kept the one-run lead intact, wrapping up his brief RiverDogs season at 2-0 with a 1.50 ERA and 17 strikeouts in 12 innings.
Charleston took the lead in the fourth on an RBI single from Leonardo Molina that plated first baseman Dermis Garcia and a throwing error from centerfielder Travis Swaggerty that allowed third baseman Chris Hess to cross as well.
An inning later, catcher Jerry Seitz hit a sacrifice fly to the warning track in right centerfield, pushing across an insurance tally in David Metzgar against West Virginia starter Oddy Nunez (1-1).
Alexander Vargas earned his fourth save with Dogs, pitching the final three innings scoreless with just one hit on his ledger and a pair of strikeouts.
With Sunday's results, West Virginia's magic number is one as a Labor Day victory or a Kannapolis Intimidators loss to the Hagerstown Suns will slot the Pittsburgh Pirates affiliate into the final Northern Division playoff spot.
The RiverDogs can set a new attendance record in Labor Day's 2 p.m. season finale with 5,107 fans through the turnstiles.
It was the final Holy City Sunday down at The Joe where MUSC Kids Club members got in free, ate for free, and ran the bases postgame. The RiverDogs donned the Holy City pinstripes for one last time in 2018.
Charleston's season ends on Monday with first pitch starting at 2:05, broadcasting online only via MiLB.tv and streaming audio via the RiverDogs' TuneIn radio station. The RiverDogs will send right-hander Miguel Yajure (4-3, 3.62) to face West Virginia righty Sergio Cubilete (5-5, 5.23) in a potentially decisive game for the Power.
RiverDogs single-game tickets, including options to the Riley Park Club, are available for the season finale, capping the club's 25th season as the RiverDogs and their "175th season in dog years." There is also a one-day sale with $2 ticket options for the final game of the campaign. Ticket information can be secured by contacting the box office at (843) 577-DOGS (3647) or online at www.riverdogs.com.
Images from this story
Charleston RiverDogs pitcher Shawn Semple
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from September 2, 2018
- 'Claws Bullpen Stifles 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Warren, Brogdon Slam Door on Birds; Claws Win 5-4 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Kennedy Razor Sharp in Final Start of 2018 - Asheville Tourists
- De Paula and Baragar Combine for 16 Strikeouts in Loss - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Game Story (): Drive Ride Early Lead to Victory on Sunday - Greenville Drive
- Legends Can't Stop Drive and Fall 7-2 - Lexington Legends
- Semple, RiverDogs Top Playoff-Hopeful Power - Charleston RiverDogs
- Crawdads Fall in Close Game to Greensboro - Hickory Crawdads
- Nunez Hurls Quality Start in One-Run Loss - West Virginia Power
- Suns Snap Six-Game Skid with 4-1 Victory Sunday Afternoon - Hagerstown Suns
- Power on Edge of Playoffs - West Virginia Power
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (september 2) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston RiverDogs Stories
- RiverDogs Cancel Charlie Claus Move Night, Extend Toy Drive Through Friday
- RiverDogs Host Charlie Claus Toy Drive and Movie Night at the Joe
- Yankees, Red Sox Great Johnny Damon Headlines 2019 Hot Stove Banquet
- RiverDogs Announce Game Times for 2019 Season
- Severns Named RiverDogs' New Head Groundskeeper