Walleye Sign Forward with NHL Ties
Toledo, OH - A standout at the University of Miami of Ohio and former NHL forward Justin Mercier has agreed to terms with the Toledo Walleye for the 2014-15 season.
Mercier split last season between Idaho in the ECHL and Iowa and Bridgeport of the AHL. As captain of the Steelheads, Mercier posted a career best 30 points (18G, 12A) in 43 contests. The veteran forward has skated in 239 games at the AHL level (41G, 40A, 213 penalty minutes) with stops in Lake Erie, Iowa and Bridgeport. The sixth round pick of the Colorado Avalanche in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft appeared in nine games with Colorado during the 2009-10 season and scored his first NHL goal on February 4, 2010 in a 5-3 loss to Nashville. He also had one assist with the Avalanche.
"Justin brings great leadership and experience to us in Toledo," said Head Coach Derek Lalonde. "This is a tremendous signing for us going into the season. It is exciting for us to add a player of his caliber on and off the ice to this team."
The native of Erie, Pennsylvania set career highs in 2010-11 with Lake Erie for games played (80) and assists (16). Before making the jump to the professional ranks, Mercier skated for four seasons at the University of Miami of Ohio. While there, he appeared in a total of 157 games with 104 points (52G, 52A). He was named West Regional MVP as a senior in 2009, helping to lead the RedHawks to the National Championship game (4-3 OT Loss to Boston U.). In his second season at Miami, the 5'11", 190 pound forward scored 25 goals to go along with 15 assists.
Opening Night and single game tickets are on sale now. Your Opening Night ticket gets you into FinFest- the pregame party the entire family can enjoy! Tickets are available at both the Mud Hens and Huntington Center box office, by phone (419) 725-WALL (9255), or online at http://www.toledowalleye.com/ www.toledowalleye.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from August 19, 2014
- Eagles Sign Former Calder Cup Champion Taylor - Colorado Eagles
- Solar Bears Bolster Roster with Gilbert, Keenan - Orlando Solar Bears
- Berkstresser Signs with Gladiators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Condors in the Community: Condors Kids Club Is a Big Deal - Bakersfield Condors
- Cyclones Add Trio of Players to 2014-15 Roster - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye Sign Forward with NHL Ties - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Annonuces New Partnership with NeuLion - ECHL
- Evansville IceMen Announce New Director of Media Relations & Broadcaster - Evansville IceMen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.