Veterans Lead Patriots to the Win
Bridgewater, New Jersey - A six-run fifth inning led the Somerset Patriots (27-40, 69-68) to a 7-2 win over the New Britain Bees (36-34, 71-68) in front of 7,481 fans at TD Bank Ballpark on Saturday night.
After a scoreless four frames, New Britain tallied a run in the fifth on a two-out RBI single from Jared James.
But the Patriots responded with a six-run bottom half of the inning. Jimmy Paredes started the inning with a double down the right field line and the next batter, Alfredo Rodriguez, drove in
Paredes with a double of his own.
Then with two outs, Mike Fransoso added a run with an RBI single. After a Yovan Gonzalez double, sixth-year Patriot Scott Kelly plated two with a single to left field. Will Kengor recorded an RBI infield single and would later score on a wild pitch to round out the Patriots scoring and to put them ahead 6-1.
Rando Moreno drove in a New Britain run in the eighth inning, but Rodriguez responded with an RBI groundout to make it a 7-2 score.
Liam O'Sullivan (7-9) dazzled pitching 6.1 innings and allowed just one run on six hits. The righty finishes the season with 13-straight starts of six innings or more and has thrown a quality start in 12 of those 13.
Devin Burke (3-7) was handed the loss after he pitched 4.2 innings allowing five runs.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots Season presented by Ford finishes tomorrow afternoon when the Patriots host the New Britain Bees at TD Bank Ballpark. The game is slated to start at 1:05 p.m. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Somerset Patriots pitcher Liam O'Sullivan
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 21, 2019
- Rockers Even up Series with Big Fourth Inning - Long Island Ducks
- Veterans Lead Patriots to the Win - Somerset Patriots
- Blue Crabs Drop Second Straight Heartbreaker - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Historic Evening In The Garden State Keeps Bees Playoff Hopes Alive - New Britain Bees
- Daryl Thompson's 162 Strikeouts Second Most In A Season In Atlantic League History - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Revs Win Community Cup with 2-1 Victory over Barnstormers - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- "Despicable" Plan and Tactics Bring MiLB under MLB's Total Control
- New York Yankees Announce Somerset Patriots as Double-A Affiliate
- New York Yankees Announce New Minor League Affiliation Structure
- Sculpture Unveiled at TD Bank Ballpark to Honor Steve Kalafer and Sparky Lyle
- Somerset Patriots Help Atlantic League Earn Designation as Partner League of Major League Baseball