Blue Crabs Drop Second Straight Heartbreaker
Sugar Land, TX - Like the series opener, game two of a three game set was as close as close could be. The Blue Crabs again entered the bottom of the ninth with a one run lead and saw the Sugar Land Skeeters come back in the frame for the second night in a row, this time with Sugar Land winning 3-2.
The Skeeters got on the board first, coming in the bottom of the second inning with a Jason Martinson double to Blue Crabs center fielder Cory Vaughn.
Vaughn struck back with some run support of his own in the top of the eighth, the next time the contest would see any scoring. Vaughn's double brought in a fellow power bat, Tony Thomas. Later in the Joe Benson ripped a double of his own to plate Vaughn and hand the Crabs a healthy 2-1 lead heading into the bottom of the ninth.
It was yet another magical performance for Dusten Knight (L, 3-6), but one start removed from setting an Atlantic League record for strikeouts in a game (17) he found troubles in the ninth inning on Saturday evening, and the Skeeters plated a pair to walk off Southern Maryland for the second night in a row, 3-2 in heartbreaking fashion.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 21, 2019
- Rockers Even up Series with Big Fourth Inning - Long Island Ducks
- Veterans Lead Patriots to the Win - Somerset Patriots
- Blue Crabs Drop Second Straight Heartbreaker - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Historic Evening In The Garden State Keeps Bees Playoff Hopes Alive - New Britain Bees
- Daryl Thompson's 162 Strikeouts Second Most In A Season In Atlantic League History - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Revs Win Community Cup with 2-1 Victory over Barnstormers - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Southern Maryland Falls in Season Finale
- Blue Crabs Drop Second Straight Heartbreaker
- Daryl Thompson's 162 Strikeouts Second Most In A Season In Atlantic League History
- Blue Crabs Drop Finale with Stormers
- Blue Crabs Drop Second to Last Home Game of the Season