Vancouver Giants Start Season with a 5-3 Win in Prince George
Vancouver, B.C. - Friday night at the CN Centre in Prince George, B.C. the Vancouver Giants kicked off the 2019-20 season with a 5-3 victory over the Prince George Cougars. Five different skaters supplied the goals for the Giants while Trent Miner turned aside 20 of the 23 shots fired his way in net. The Giants power play went two-for-three while the penalty kill went six-for-seven. Both Owen Hardy (two assists) and Seth Bafaro (one goal, one assist) had multi-point games for Vancouver. Tyson Upper had two goals in response for Prince George.
VAN - Tristen Nielsen opened the scoring at 4:48. He snuck a low shot through the pads of Taylor Gauthier from the left-wing beside the goal. Owen Hardy and Seth Bafaro assisted.
VAN - Seth Bafaro extended Vancouver's lead on a power play at 15:20. His shot from the right-wing point snuck through traffic and home. Dylan Plouffe and Owen Hardy both drew helpers.
Vancouver Giants defenceman Alex Kannok Leipert vs. the Prince George Cougars
(Vancouver Giants, Credit: Brett Cullen)
PG - 51 seconds later Cole Moberg responded for the Cougars when he capitalized off a three-way passing play with Ryan Schoettler and Josh Maser. Moberg's marker came on a power play.
Shots: 13-6 Vancouver
VAN - Lukas Svejkovsky extended the Giants lead to 3-1 when he wired a shot past Taylor Gauthier's blocker off a two-on-one rush. His goal came at 10:50 and was unassisted.
PG - Tyson Upper moved Prince George back within one at 16:36 off a shot from above the left-wing circle. Goaltender Taylor Gauthier had one of the assists.
PG - Upper struck again with 11 seconds left in the period off a deflection from the left-wing beside the Giants goal.
Shots: 8-6 Prince George
VAN - Justin Sourdif gave the Giants their final lead of the night on a gorgeous end-to-end rush on a power play at 4:56. Goaltender Trent Miner drew the lone assist.
VAN - Jackson Shepard provided the Giants with some insurance at 18:53. Shepard converted into an empty net off a breakaway feed from Milos Roman to secure his first goal as a Giant.
Shots: 10-9 Vancouver
Final Score: Vancouver 5 - Prince George 3
Final Shots: 29-23 Vancouver
Trent Miner: 20/23 saves for Vancouver (1-0)
Taylor Gauthier: 24/28 saves for Prince George (0-1)
Vancouver: 2/3 on Power Play
Prince George: 1/7 on Power Play
Tyson Upper (PG - 2G)
Tristen Nielsen (VAN - 1G)
Lukas Svejkovsky (VAN - 1G)
Next Game: The Giants and Prince George Cougars will meet once again tomorrow night at 7:00 PM.
Eight Giants recorded at least one point in Friday's victory.
Tristen Nielsen led all Giants with five shots on goal.
Trent Miner improved his record to 5-0 lifetime against Prince George.
Both of the game's goaltenders: Trent Miner and Taylor Gauthier recorded assists in the game.
The Giants are now 4-1-0-1 lifetime when starting their season on the road.
Jacob Gendron, John Little and Justin Lies all played in their first career WHL games for Vancouver.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 21, 2019
- Preview: Broncos Open Regular Season at Home against Calgary - Swift Current Broncos
- Game Day Hub: September 21 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 2 vs Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winnipeg ICE Host Wheat Kings in Saturday Home Opener - Winnipeg Ice
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, September 21 at Swift Current - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Preview: 2019 Merlin Ford Lincoln Home Opener - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Opening Weekend in Moose Jaw Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Top Cougars on Opening Night - Prince George Cougars
- Silvertips Dropped in Season Opener - Everett Silvertips
- Americans Open Season with 4-2 Victory in Everett - Tri-City Americans
- Vancouver Giants Start Season with a 5-3 Win in Prince George - Vancouver Giants
- Blades Edge Raiders 3-2 in OT to Open 2019-20 - Saskatoon Blades
- Tigers Claw Back to Win 4-3 in a Shootout - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Teply, Lambos Record Two-Point Nights in ICE 3-2 Win over Wheat Kings - Winnipeg Ice
- Wheat Kings Fall 3-2 to Ice in Opener - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Raiders Fall in Overtime to Blades - Prince Albert Raiders
- Chiefs Open 2019-20 Regular Season with 4-3 Win in Kamloops - Spokane Chiefs
- Kolle, Pats Tip Moose Jaw in Season Opener - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Drop a 3-1 Decision Sunday at Home to Victoria
- Vancouver Giants Knock off Broncos in a Nine-Round Shootout
- Vancouver Giants Fall in Kamloops to Kick off the Weekend
- Byram Named to Team WHL's Roster for 2019 Cibc Canada Russia Series
- Giants Wrap up Prairie Road Swing with a 4-2 Win in Regina