Kolle, Pats Tip Moose Jaw in Season Opener
Regina, Saskatchewan - Ty Kolle had two goals and an assist to lead the Regina Pats to a 3-2, opening night win over the Moose Jaw Warriors on Friday night at the Brandt Centre.
The Pats got off to a fast start with a goal 20 seconds into the contest. Austin Pratt tipped in his first of the season, assisted by Dawson Holt and Ty Kolle and the Pats were off and running. Regina added to their lead 10 minutes later when Ty Kolle chipped in his first from the right goal line, Holt and Tyson Feist drew assists and the Pats took a 2-0 lead into the break. The Warriors cut the lead in half on the powerplay in the second, Keenan Taphorn jammed in his first and it was a one goal game going to the third. In the final frame, the Warriors tied it up with a powerplay goal from Carson Denomie at the 6:36 mark to make it 2-2. Four minutes later however, Ty Kolle stole a puck in the offensive zone and roofed it for his second of the night to give the Pats the lead back at 3-2. They would hold on from there and picked up a big two points on opening night.
The Pats outshot the Warriors 30-22 in the win, the powerplay went oh for one and the penalty kill was five for seven. Ty Kolle led the offence with two goals and an assist, Dawson Holt had a two-point night, while Max Paddock made 20 saves in goal.
The Pats (1-0-0-0) will continue their opening weekend on Saturday night in Moose Jaw with a 7 o'clock start on 620 CKRM.
Regina - Austin Pratt (1) from Dawson Holt and Ty Kolle - 0:20.
Regina - Ty Kolle (1) from Tyson Feist and Dawson Holt - 10:21.
Moose Jaw - Keenan Taphorn (1) from Daniil Stepanov and Braden Miller - 8:23 PP.
Moose Jaw - Carson Denomie (1) from Daemon Hunt and Ryder Korczak - 6:36 PP.
Regina - Ty Kolle (2) unassisted - 10:39.
Shots on Goal
Regina 15-10-5-(30) Moose Jaw 2-7-13-(22)
Regina 0/1 Moose Jaw 2/7
- The Pats win their opening game of the season for the first time since 2011-12.
- Dawson Holt put up two assists in his Regina Pats debut.
- Regina snapped a five-game losing streak against the Warriors going back to last season.
The Pats will continue their opening weekend on Saturday night in Moose Jaw with a 7 o'clock start on 620 CKRM. Next home game is Friday, September 27 against the Prince Albert Raiders at 7 p.m. at the Brandt Centre. Tickets are available at reginapats.com.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 21, 2019
- Preview: Broncos Open Regular Season at Home against Calgary - Swift Current Broncos
- Game Day Hub: September 21 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 2 vs Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winnipeg ICE Host Wheat Kings in Saturday Home Opener - Winnipeg Ice
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, September 21 at Swift Current - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Preview: 2019 Merlin Ford Lincoln Home Opener - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Opening Weekend in Moose Jaw Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Top Cougars on Opening Night - Prince George Cougars
- Silvertips Dropped in Season Opener - Everett Silvertips
- Americans Open Season with 4-2 Victory in Everett - Tri-City Americans
- Vancouver Giants Start Season with a 5-3 Win in Prince George - Vancouver Giants
- Blades Edge Raiders 3-2 in OT to Open 2019-20 - Saskatoon Blades
- Tigers Claw Back to Win 4-3 in a Shootout - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Teply, Lambos Record Two-Point Nights in ICE 3-2 Win over Wheat Kings - Winnipeg Ice
- Wheat Kings Fall 3-2 to Ice in Opener - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Raiders Fall in Overtime to Blades - Prince Albert Raiders
- Chiefs Open 2019-20 Regular Season with 4-3 Win in Kamloops - Spokane Chiefs
- Kolle, Pats Tip Moose Jaw in Season Opener - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.