Winnipeg ICE Host Wheat Kings in Saturday Home Opener
Winnipeg, MB - The Winnipeg ICE play host to its Home Opener presented by Nutrien Ag Solutions on Saturday, September 21.
Puck drop between the ICE and the Brandon Wheat Kings is scheduled for just after 7:30 P.M. CT.
ICE 2019-20 Club Leaders:
Goals: Connor McClennon, Isaac Johnson, Michal Teply (1)
Assists: Carson Lambos (2)
Points: Michal Teply, Carson Lambos (2)
PIMS: Chase Hartje, Isaac Johnson, Connor McClennon, Michael Milne (2)
Plus/ Minus: Carson Lambos (+3)
Wins: Dean McNabb (1)
The Winnipeg ICE are coming off of a 3-2 victory over the Brandon Wheat Kings on Friday, September 20. Connor McClennon, Michal Teply and Isaac Johnson scored the goals for the ICE. Carson Lambos and Michal Teply led the way, each recording two points. Goaltender Dean McNabb blocked 24-of-26 shots. The Wheat Kings got goals from Vincent Iorio and Zach Wytinck. Wheaties Goaltender Jiri Patera stopped 42-of-45 shots. The ICE outshot the Wheat Kings 45-26. They went 0-for-5 on the power play, 2-for-2 on the penalty kill and won 32-of-67 face-offs.
'01-born forward Peyton Krebs is 13 goals away from 50 career WHL goals.
'01-born forward Peyton Krebs is 10 assists away from 100 career WHL assists.
'99-born defenceman Chase Hartje is seven assists away from 50 career WHL assists.
'99-born defenceman Reece Harsch is 10 assists away from 50 career WHL assists.
'99-born forward Isaac Johnson is 20 points away from 100 career WHL points.
'01-born defenceman Zachary Patrick is four games away from 100 career WHL regular season games played.
'00-born defenceman Marco Creta is six games away from 100 career WHL regular season games played.
'99-born defenceman Reece Harsch is 21 games away from 200 career WHL regular season games played.
WHEAT KINGS PREVIEW
Wheat Kings 2019-20 Club Leaders:
Goals: Vincent Iorio, Zach Wytinck (1)
Assists: Luka Burzan (2)
Points: Luka Burzan (2)
PIMS: Ridly Greig (5)
Plus/ Minus: Connor Gutenberg, Vincent Iorio, Ben McCartney, Chad Nychuk (+1)
The Brandon Wheat Kings visit the Winnipeg ICE for the first time this season on Saturday, September 21. Following today's game, the Wheat Kings play a home-and-home series against the Moose Jaw Warriors the next weekend.
The Wheat Kings are coming off of a 3-2 loss to the Winnipeg ICE on September 20. The Wheaties got goals from Vincent Iorio and Zach Wytinck while Luka Burzan led the way with two assists. Wheaties goaltender Jiri Patera stopped 42-of-45 shots in the game and was named the first star. The Wheaties were outshot 45-26. They went 0-for-2 on the power play, 5-for-5 on the penalty kill and won 35-of-67 face-offs.
Winnipeg ICE fans can listen to the live broadcast on 680 CJOB following the Winnipeg Blues Bombers broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 21, 2019
- Preview: Broncos Open Regular Season at Home against Calgary - Swift Current Broncos
- Game Day Hub: September 21 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 2 vs Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winnipeg ICE Host Wheat Kings in Saturday Home Opener - Winnipeg Ice
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, September 21 at Swift Current - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Preview: 2019 Merlin Ford Lincoln Home Opener - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Opening Weekend in Moose Jaw Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Top Cougars on Opening Night - Prince George Cougars
- Silvertips Dropped in Season Opener - Everett Silvertips
- Americans Open Season with 4-2 Victory in Everett - Tri-City Americans
- Vancouver Giants Start Season with a 5-3 Win in Prince George - Vancouver Giants
- Blades Edge Raiders 3-2 in OT to Open 2019-20 - Saskatoon Blades
- Tigers Claw Back to Win 4-3 in a Shootout - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Teply, Lambos Record Two-Point Nights in ICE 3-2 Win over Wheat Kings - Winnipeg Ice
- Wheat Kings Fall 3-2 to Ice in Opener - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Raiders Fall in Overtime to Blades - Prince Albert Raiders
- Chiefs Open 2019-20 Regular Season with 4-3 Win in Kamloops - Spokane Chiefs
- Kolle, Pats Tip Moose Jaw in Season Opener - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Ice Stories
- Three Winnipeg ICE Players Attend NHL Training Camps
- Winnipeg ICE Launch Virtual Teddy Bear Toss in Support of the Children's Hospital Foundation's Child Life Program
- Winnipeg ICE Issue Statement Regarding the Western Hockey League Confirmed January 8, 2020-2021 Regular Season Start Date
- Winnipeg ICE Partner with Hockey Manitoba in Support of Manitoba's Safe Return to Hockey
- Winnipeg ICE and Canadian Cancer Society Announce Partnership