USHL Approves Sale of Stars
The United States Hockey League (USHL) announced Thursday the USHL Board of Directors has formally approved the sale of the Lincoln Stars to Alberto Fernandez.
Fernandez, a 35-year transportation technology industry executive, has owned and operated ice hockey businesses for more than a decade, including most recently serving as owner of the North Iowa Bulls (North American Hockey League - NAHL) and Mason City Toros (North American 3 Hockey League).
"I want to express a sincere thank you to all the USHL team owners, Commissioner Tom Garrity and to Ryan Schiff for making this transfer possible," said Fernandez.
"We're happy to welcome Alberto to the USHL and know with his experience in the hockey world, he'll continue the rich tradition the Lincoln Stars have in the USHL," said USHL President and Commissioner Tom Garrity.
The Stars, who are one of 16 USHL Member Clubs set to play in the 2021-22 USHL season, will remain in Lincoln and continue to play their home games at the Ice Box.
The Lincoln Stars have been a part of the USHL since joining the league in 1996. Lincoln is a two-time Clark Cup Champion (1997 & 2003) and three-time Anderson Cup Champion (2000, 2001 & 2003).
Notable Stars alumni include 15-year NHL veteran David Backes, Stanley Cup Champion Brandon Bollig, NHL veteran and Columbus Blue Jackets Development Coach Jared Boll, current NHL forward Ryan Dzingel and current AHL defenseman Paul LaDue.
"The Lincoln Stars are committed as ever to continuing the rich tradition of Tier I junior hockey in Lincoln," said Lincoln Stars Chief Operating Executive Tyler Shaffar. "We are looking forward to dropping the puck next season."
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from June 7, 2021
- USHL Announces 2020-21 Individual Player Awards - USHL
- Lohrei Named USHL Defenseman of the Year - Green Bay Gamblers
- 2021-22 Schedule Announced - Lincoln Stars
- Schmid Named USHL Goaltender of the Year - Sioux City Musketeers
- Sean Farrell Named USHL Player of the Year - Chicago Steel
- Matt Coronato Named USHL Forward of the Year - Chicago Steel
- USHL Approves Sale of Stars - Lincoln Stars
- 2020-21 Team Awards Announced - Fargo Force
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.