Sean Farrell Named USHL Player of the Year
GENEVA, ILLINOIS - Chicago Steel forward Sean Farrell was named 2021 USHL Player of the Year, announced by the league on Monday.
Farrell is the second Steel player to earn the Player of the Year award, joining Andrew Miller who earned the honor for the 2008-2009 season.
Farrell, selected by the Montreal Canadiens in the fourth round (#124 overall) of the 2020 NHL Draft, became just the second player in USHL history to eclipse the 100-point mark in a single season with 101 points (29G, 72A) in 53 games played during the 2020-2021 campaign.
"Sean had one of the best, if not the best season in USHL history and is much deserving of this award," said Steel head coach Brock Sheahan. "Sean is an amazing hockey player and an even better person. We have been so lucky to have Sean as a part of this group the last two seasons and I couldn't be more proud of the player and person he is. He had a great Junior career and I know that he will continue to develop and grow as a player moving forward and I am excited to follow the rest of his career."
The Harvard University-bound forward registered at least a point in 24 consecutive games from Nov. 25, 2020 through Feb. 11, 2020, the longest single-season point streak in USHL history with 15 goals and 25 assists over that stretch.
In the playoffs, Farrell helped the Steel win the 2021 Clark Cup title, accumulating 10 points (2G, 8A) in the eight-game championship run.
In addition to the USHL single-season point streak mark, Farrell, a native of Hopkinton, Mass., re-wrote the Steel record book during the 2020-2021 regular season.
The 5-foot-10, 177-pound skater now owns franchise marks for both points and assists in a career and a single season. Farrell tallied 101 points including 72 helpers during the 2020-2021 season for the single-year records, adding to his career totals of 157 points and 113 assists in a Steel uniform.
Farrell was named USHL Forward of the Week three times this season, the most of any skater in the league.
Season Ticket Plans for the Clark Cup Champion Chicago Steel are on sale now by calling 855-51-STEEL or emailing info@ChicagoSteelHockeyTeam.com. For a limited time, the Steel are offering a Clark Cup Champions ticket package for just $60. The pack includes a white zone ticket to four games including the Opening Night championship celebration and an official Clark Cup Champions t-shirt. One randomly selected purchaser will win a 'Day with the Clark Cup' this summer.
For more information, call 855-51-STEEL or visit ChicagoSteelHockeyTeam.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from June 7, 2021
- USHL Announces 2020-21 Individual Player Awards - USHL
- Lohrei Named USHL Defenseman of the Year - Green Bay Gamblers
- 2021-22 Schedule Announced - Lincoln Stars
- Schmid Named USHL Goaltender of the Year - Sioux City Musketeers
- Sean Farrell Named USHL Player of the Year - Chicago Steel
- Matt Coronato Named USHL Forward of the Year - Chicago Steel
- USHL Approves Sale of Stars - Lincoln Stars
- 2020-21 Team Awards Announced - Fargo Force
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Steel Stories
- Steel Enjoy Record Success at 2021 NHL Draft
- Steel Record Three First Round Selections in NHL Draft for First Time in Franchise History
- Former Steel Defenseman Owen Power Selected First Overall in 2021 NHL Draft
- Chicago Steel NHL Draft Preview
- Group Tickets and Experiences on Sale Friday, July 16