Schmid Named USHL Goaltender of the Year
Sioux City Musketeers goaltender Akira Schmid has been recognized as the 2020-21 United States Hockey League Goaltender of the Year.
The Bern, Switzerland, native appeared in 36 games this season, finishing with a 22-13-1 record. Schmid posted the USHL's best goals against average (2.01) and save percentage (.921) to go along with three shutouts, tied for the league lead.
Schmid, who was selected by New Jersey 136th overall in the 2018 NHL Draft, signed an entry level professional contract with the Devils in late May.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from June 7, 2021
- USHL Announces 2020-21 Individual Player Awards - USHL
- Lohrei Named USHL Defenseman of the Year - Green Bay Gamblers
- 2021-22 Schedule Announced - Lincoln Stars
- Schmid Named USHL Goaltender of the Year - Sioux City Musketeers
- Sean Farrell Named USHL Player of the Year - Chicago Steel
- Matt Coronato Named USHL Forward of the Year - Chicago Steel
- USHL Approves Sale of Stars - Lincoln Stars
- 2020-21 Team Awards Announced - Fargo Force
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.