Union win 10th home match of the season
CHESTER, Pa. - The Philadelphia Union earned three points at home for a second consecutive game, this time against Atlanta United on Saturday evening in front of a sell-out 18,510. With the win, the Union are able to clinch a playoff berth if San Jose beats Orlando City SC (as of this writing, San Jose leads 2-0 in the 24'). Kacper Przybylko scored his team-leading 13th goal of the season as well as adding an assist. Brenden Aaronson scored his third career MLS goal; his first was also against Atlanta on March 17. The Union return to action next weekend in a friendly vs. Pumas (7:30 p.m. ET / Philadelphiaunion.com) and back to their next regular season matchup on September 14 vs. LAFC (7:30 p.m. ET/ PHL17).
Philadelphia Union 3 - Atlanta United 1
Talen Energy Stadium (Chester, PA)
Saturday, August 31, 2019
TODAY'S MATCH INFO
Referee: Robert Sibiga
Assistant Referees: Matthew S. Nelson, Kevin Klinger
Fourth Official: Eric Tattersall
VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
Weather: 78 degrees and clear
ATL - Josef Martinez (Darlington Nagbe) 45+2'
PHI - Brenden Aaronson (Haris Medunjanin) 61'
PHI - Kacper Przybylko (Sergio Santos, Kai Wagner) 86'
PHI - Sergio Santos (Kacper Przybylko) 88'
ATL - Eric Remedi (caution) 12'
PHI - Marco Fabian (caution) 78'
PHI - Sergio Santos (caution) 89'
ATL - Leandro Gonzalez Pirez (caution) 90+3'
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Raymon Gaddis, Jack Elliott, Mark McKenzie, Kai Wagner; Jamiro Monteiro, Haris Medunjanin; Fafa Picault (Ilsinho, 58'), Marco Fabian (Anthony Fontana, 85'), Brenden Aaronson (Sergio Santos, 77'); Kacper Przybylko
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik; RJ Allen, Aurelien Collin, Andrew Wooten
Atlanta United: Brad Guzan; Jeff Larentowicz, Miles Robinson, Eric Remedi; Julian Gressel (Franco Escobar, 57') , Ermerson Hyndman, Darlington Nagbe, Leandro Gonzalez Pirez; Gonzalo Martinez (Hector Villalba, 84), Josef Martinez, Dion Pereira ( Justin Meram, halftime)
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann; Florentin Pogba, Mohammed Adams, Brandon Vasquez
Tonight's crowd at Talen Energy Stadium was 18,510, the third consecutive sellout for the Union at home as well as the sixth of season ... the club remains undefeated when playing in front of a home sellout (4-0-2) ... this is the most home sellouts the Union have had in a single season since 2014, when Philadelphia had seven.
With 15 wins on the season, the Union are tied for their all-time single-season wins record (15, set in 2018) ... the Union's 10 home wins also ties their output from 2017, the club record.
The Union now have 54 goals on the season, the most the team has ever scored in a single season.
Brenden Aaronson scored for his second consecutive game, for three total goals on the season...his first career MLS goal was against Atlanta on March 17.
Kacper Przybylko scored his team-leading 13th goal of the season, tied for fifth most in the league... only two other players have scored more goals in a single season for the Union (2017: CJ Sapong, 16; 2010: Sebastien La Toux, 14)
Sergio Santos scored his fourth goal of the season in his first game played since July 13, as well as picking up his first career MLS assist.
Kai Wagner now leads all MLS defenders with eight assists... he is now tied with Sheanon Williams for the all-time club record for single-season assists by a defender.
The Union return to action next weekend in a friendly vs. Pumas (7:30 p.m. ET / PhiladelphiaUnion.com) and back to their next regular season matchup on September 14 vs. LAFC (7:30 p.m. ET/ PHL17).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 31, 2019
- FC Dallas Extends Undefeated Home Record to Nine Matches in 3-1 Win over FC Cincinnati - FC Dallas
- Atlanta United Falls 3-1 to Philadelphia Union - Atlanta United FC
- Russell Header Lifts Sporting to 1-0 Win over Houston - Sporting Kansas City
- Toronto FC (1) - New England Revolution (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Red Bulls Lose at Home to Colorado, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Postgame Notes: Colorado Rapids 2, New York Red Bulls 0 - Colorado Rapids
- Union win 10th home match of the season - Philadelphia Union
- Impact Suffers 3-0 Loss to D.C. United - Montreal Impact
- Ledesma tallies from the penalty spot but FC Cincinnati eliminated from playoff contention - FC Cincinnati
- Przemyslaw Frankowski Scores in the 94th Minute, Helps Fire Earn Hard-Fought 1-1 Draw at Columbus Crew SC - Chicago Fire
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. LA Galaxy - September 1, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Storylines | City vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Looks to Clinch Top Spot in the West on Sunday Night against Minnesota United - Los Angeles FC
- Real Salt Lake Signs FW Douglas Martinez from Real Monarchs SLC - Real Salt Lake
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return Travel to Midwest for Showdown with Sporting Kansas City - Houston Dynamo
- Minnesota United FC vs. Los Angeles FC Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Union earn a point on the road in defensive battle
- MLS Announces Remaining Regular Season Schedule
- Kacper Przybylko records second brace of the season; Union move into second place in Eastern Conference
- Anthony Fontana records brace; Union take second place in Eastern Conference
- MLS Announces Regular Season Schedule Through September