Union remain in first place in MLS' Eastern Conference after a 2-1 victory against Houston
CHESTER, Pa. - The Eastern Conference-leading Philadelphia Union earned three points at home against Houston Dynamo on Sunday evening. The win gives them a three-point lead on second place Atlanta United. Kacper Przybylko scored his 11th goal of the season off an assist from Haris Medunjanin, who now has three assists in the last two games. Jack Elliott scored the game-winning goal for his second goal of the season. The Union return to action next weekend in Chicago on Saturday, August 17 vs. Chicago Fire (8:00 p.m. ET / PHL17).
Philadelphia Union 2 - Houston Dynamo 1
Talen Energy Stadium (Chester, PA)
Sunday, August 11, 2019
TODAY'S MATCH INFO
Referee: Marcos DeOliveira
Assistant Referees: Kyle Atkins, Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
Fourth Official: Danielle Chesky
VAR: Allen Chapman
Weather: 83 degrees and sunny
PHI - Kacper Przybylko (Haris Medunjanin) 18'
HOU - Christian Ramirez (DaMarcus Beasley, Memo Rodriguez) 42'
PHI - Jack Elliott 78'
HOU - Maynor Figueroa (caution) 34'
HOU - Juan Cabezas (caution) 58'
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Raymon Gaddis, Jack Elliott, Aurelien Collin, Kai Wagner; Haris Medunjanin; Alejandro Bedoya, Warren Creavalle (Jamiro Monteiro, 54'); Marco Fabian (Fafa Picault, 85'); Kacper Przybylko, Andrew Wooten (Ilsinho, 59')
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik; RJ Allen, Auston Trusty, Brenden Aaronson
Houston Dynamo: Joe Willis; Jose Bizama (Niko Hansen, 83'), Aljaz Struna, Maynor Figueroa, DaMarcus Beasley (Adam Lundkvist, 67'); Juan Cabezas, Boniek Garcia; Tomas Martinez, Memo Rodriguez, Christian Ramirez (Alberth Elis, 71'); Mauro Manotas
Substitutes not used: Michael Nelson; Kevin Garcia, Darwin Ceren, Tommy McNamara
Tonight's attendance of 18,550 was a sellout, the fourth of the season at Talen Energy Stadium for the Union as well as the 49th ever ... this is the first time the Union have had four sellouts in a single campaign since 2016 ... that year, the fourth sellout of the season came on October 23, 2016 ... the Union have four home regular-season matches remaining in 2019 and have not had as many as five sellouts in a single year since 2014 (seven that season)...the Union are unbeaten in all four sellouts this season with 2-0-2 record.
Kacper Przybylko scored his team-leading 11th goal of the season. The 11 goals are tied for fifth most in the league.
Jack Elliott scored his second goal of the season and fifth career MLS goal.
In his 90th career appearance for the Union, Haris Medunjanin notched his team-leading ninth helper of the season.
The Union return to action on the road on Saturday, August 17 vs. Chicago Fire (8:00 p.m. ET / PHL17).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 11, 2019
- Post-Match Facts | D.C. United V. LA Galaxy - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, D.C. United 2 - Sunday, August 11, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Terminates Contract of Head Coach Mike Petke - Real Salt Lake
- Postgame Notes: Philadelphia Union 2-1 Houston Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- Union remain in first place in MLS' Eastern Conference after a 2-1 victory against Houston - Philadelphia Union
- Dynamo Fall 2-1 at Philadelphia Union - Houston Dynamo
- New York City FC Clipped by Atlanta United FC 2-1 - New York City FC
- Atlanta United Defeats NYCFC 2-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: August 11 - August 17 - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Earn 3-1 Win over Cascadia-Rival Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Portland Timbers
- Bair nets first MLS goal, but 'Caps fall in wild Cascadia battle - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Suffers 3-2 Loss to the Fire - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Debut "Union Classic"
- Union earn a point in Los Angeles with three goals; Glesnes scores first MLS goal
- Three Philadelphia Union Players to Join CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Roster
- Glesnes debuts for Union; Homegrowns feature in season opener
- Philadelphia Union Sign Forward Kacper Przybylko to Contract Extension