Real Salt Lake Terminates Contract of Head Coach Mike Petke
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake announced on Sunday that the club has terminated the contract of Head Coach Mike Petke. Assistant Coach Freddy Juarez was named Interim Head Coach for the remainder of the 2019 season.
The club has issued the following statement:
"At Real Salt Lake, we have the privilege to represent our great community and fans here locally and on a national and global basis. We hold all of our coaches, players, executives and staff to the highest standards of professionalism. As an organization, it is vital that everyone, particularly our leadership, reflects and embodies our core values and the values of our community, treating all people with respect, civility and professionalism. Moreover, throughout our 15-year history, we have championed diversity, acceptance and inclusion throughout our organization, our stadiums and our community. This is a responsibility that we take very seriously.
"On Tuesday, July 30, after an investigation and in conjunction with Major League Soccer, the club levied the steepest sanctions ever imposed on an MLS coach when we suspended Mike Petke without pay for two weeks in addition to his three-match suspension in MLS and $25,000 fine. After further deliberations and a series of constructive discussions internally and with various members of our community, we have concluded, pursuant to his employment agreement, to immediately terminate Mike Petke's employment."
The club will have no further comment at this time.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 11, 2019
- Post-Match Facts | D.C. United V. LA Galaxy - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, D.C. United 2 - Sunday, August 11, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Terminates Contract of Head Coach Mike Petke - Real Salt Lake
- Postgame Notes: Philadelphia Union 2-1 Houston Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- Union remain in first place in MLS' Eastern Conference after a 2-1 victory against Houston - Philadelphia Union
- Dynamo Fall 2-1 at Philadelphia Union - Houston Dynamo
- New York City FC Clipped by Atlanta United FC 2-1 - New York City FC
- Atlanta United Defeats NYCFC 2-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: August 11 - August 17 - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Earn 3-1 Win over Cascadia-Rival Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Portland Timbers
- Bair nets first MLS goal, but 'Caps fall in wild Cascadia battle - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Suffers 3-2 Loss to the Fire - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.