Bair nets first MLS goal, but 'Caps fall in wild Cascadia battle
PORTLAND, OR - Theo Bair scored his first MLS goal in a wild Cascadia battle as Vancouver Whitecaps FC fell 3-1 to Portland Timbers on Saturday night at Providence Park.
DOWNLOAD: Postmatch interviews with Dos Santos, Bair, Rose The Homegrown forward equalized for the 'Caps 10 minutes after Sebastián Blanco opened the scoring for the Timbers in the 28th minute. However the Timbers would score twice more in the second half from Marvin Loría's long strike in the 55th minute and Jeremy Ebobisse's late counter in the 90th minute.
In the pouring rain of Portland, head coach Marc Dos Santos used a 4-3-2-1 formation for the third straight match, making two changes to the starting XI, including Andy Rose for Felipe Martins who was traded to D.C. United earlier this week, and Yordy Reyna returning from injury in place of Joaquín Ardaiz.
A back-and-forth first half saw close chances for both sides, including a monster team-effort save by the 'Caps in the 20th minute. The Timbers got three chances from close range but Derek Cornelius, Maxime Crépeau, and Ali Adnan all worked to keep the ball out of the net.
However, with Adnan off the field injured, the Timbers would be the first to score in the 28th minute through a long strike from Blanco that just got past the fingertips of Crépeau and into the back of the net. Adnan was leave the match minutes later with a left adductor strain.
Bair would respond in memorable fashion, scoring his first MLS goal in the 38th minute to tie the match at 1-1. Fredy Montero delivered a 'Caps corner into the box that was cleared to the top of the 18, but the Ottawa, Ontario native latched onto the ball with a spectacular one-time volley out of midair to find the back of the net. Saturday's match was the 19-year-old's ninth MLS appearance and fifth start for the 'Caps.
The Timbers got their second goal of the night in the 55th minute off another long strike from Loría.
Once again, the 'Caps were looking to respond quickly and Reyna did just that two minutes later, getting behind the Timbers' defenders, beating goalkeeper Steve Clark and finding the back of the net. But the goal was called back after an offside flag was raised.
Ebobisse finished the match with a late goal in the 90th minute, making the final score 3-1.
Whitecaps FC return home to BC Place next Saturday, August 17 to host Wayne Rooney and D.C. United. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. PT, with tickets still available at whitecapsfc.com/tickets.
WFC Man of the Match: Theo Bair
Referee: Ted Unkel
28' - POR - Sebastián Blanco (Diego Valeri)
38' - VAN - Theo Bair
55' - POR - Marvin Loría (Sebastián Blanco)
90' - POR - Jeremy Ebobisse (Tomás Conechny, Diego Valeri)
Possession: POR 59.3% - VAN 40.7%
Shots: POR 23 - VAN 16
Shots on Goal: POR 8 - VAN 4
Saves: POR 3 - VAN 5
Fouls: POR 12 - VAN 12
Offsides: POR 1 - VAN 2
Corners: POR 6 - VAN 6
Duels won: POR 38 - VAN 50
Tackles won: POR 10 - VAN 7
45' + 5' - POR - Julio Cascante
59' - POR - Marvin Loría
65' - VAN - Erik Godoy
84' - VAN - Jake Nerwinski
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
16.Maxime Crépeau; 28.Jake Nerwinski, 22.Érik Godoy, 13.Derek Cornelius, 53.Ali Adnan (46.Brett Levis 30'); 15.Andy Rose, 4.Inbeom Hwang, 31.Russell Teibert (23.Scott Sutter 79'); 50.Theo Bair (9.Joaquin Ardaiz 87'), 12.Fredy Montero ©; 29.Yordy Reyna
Substitutes not used
18.Zac MacMath, 2.Doneil Henry, 6.Jon Erice, 55.Michael Baldisimo
12.Steve Clark; 16.Zarek Valentin, 18.Julio Cascante, 25.Bill Tuiloma, 4.Jorge Villafaña; 40.Renzo Zambrano, 21.Diego Chara, 44.Marvin Loría (27.Dairon Asprilla 90'+2'), 8.Diego Valeri, 10.Sebastián Blanco © (19.Tomás Conechny 87'); 17.Jeremy Ebobisse
Substitutes not used
43.Kendall McIntosh, 2.Jorge Moreira, 14.Andrés Flores, 22.Cristhian Paredes, 27.Dairon Asprilla, 33.Larrys Mabiala
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 11, 2019
- Post-Match Facts | D.C. United V. LA Galaxy - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, D.C. United 2 - Sunday, August 11, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Terminates Contract of Head Coach Mike Petke - Real Salt Lake
- Postgame Notes: Philadelphia Union 2-1 Houston Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- Union remain in first place in MLS' Eastern Conference after a 2-1 victory against Houston - Philadelphia Union
- Dynamo Fall 2-1 at Philadelphia Union - Houston Dynamo
- New York City FC Clipped by Atlanta United FC 2-1 - New York City FC
- Atlanta United Defeats NYCFC 2-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: August 11 - August 17 - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Earn 3-1 Win over Cascadia-Rival Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Portland Timbers
- Bair nets first MLS goal, but 'Caps fall in wild Cascadia battle - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Suffers 3-2 Loss to the Fire - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Reveal 2021 Hoop Jersey
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Confirm Details for the Start of the 2021 Training Camp
- Whitecaps FC Sign Jamaican International and MLS SuperDraft Selection Javain Brown
- Wade Martin Joins Vancouver Whitecaps FC as Chief Revenue Officer
- Whitecaps FC Welcomes Nikos Overheul as Director of Recruitment