Union head home for final regular-season match next Sunday
Columbus, OH. - Philadelphia Union fell 2-0 against Columbus Crew SC on Sunday night. The Union held the majority of possession at 54.2%, but couldn't find the back of the net. The club currently sits in third place in the Eastern Conference, tied with Atlanta United FC on points, and can secure the second seed of the 2019 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs by exceeding Atlanta's points next weekend. The Union return to action on decision day, Sunday, October 6 at Talen Energy Stadium (4:00 p.m. ET / PHL17).
Philadelphia Union 0 - Columbus Crew SC 2
MAPFRE Stadium (Columbus, OH.)
Sunday, September 29, 2019
TODAY'S MATCH INFO
Referee: Rubiel Vazquez
Assistant Referees: Jason White, Benjamin Hall-Volpenhein
Fourth Official: Marcos DeOliveira
VAR: Jon Freemon
Weather: 79 degrees and partly cloudy
CLB - Youness Mokhtar (Pedro Santos) 69'
CLB - Pedro Santos (Unassisted) 73'
PHI - Jamiro Monteiro (caution) 14'
CLB - Wil Trapp (caution) 55'
CLB - Youness Mokhtar (caution) 80'
PHI - Kacper Przybylko (caution) 90'+1'
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Raymon Gaddis, Jack Elliott, Mark McKenzie, Kai Wagner; Alejandro Bedoya (Warren Creavalle 44'), Haris Medunjanin; Fafa Picault (Marco Fabian 77'), Jamiro Monteiro, Brenden Aaronson (Ilsinho 60'); Kacper Przybylko
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik; Aurelien Collin, RJ Allen, Andrew Wooten
Columbus Crew SC: Eloy Room; Harrison Afful, Jonathan Mensah, Josh Williams (Aboubacar Keita 60'), Connor Maloney; David Guzman (Youness Mokhtar 57'), Wil Trapp, Artur; Luis Diaz, Gyasi Zardes (Jordan Hamilton 87'), Pedro Santos
Substitutes not used: Jon Kempin; Luis Argudo, Romario Williams, David Accam
The Union sit in third place in the Eastern Conference standings. While tied on points with Atlanta United FC, the club trails on the wins tiebreaker. The Union can still secure second place in the 2019 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs by exceeding Atlanta's points next weekend.
Kacper Przybylko made his 25th career start for the Union.
Raymon Gaddis made 195th career start for the club in tonight's match.
The Union return to action for their last regular-season matchup this Sunday at home at Talen Energy Stadium (4:00 p.m. ET / PHL17).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 29, 2019
- FC Dallas Falls to Colorado Rapids 3-0 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park - FC Dallas
- LAFC Draws Minnesota United 1-1 on Sunday Night at Allianz Field - Los Angeles FC
- Quakes control destiny in season finale next Sunday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Instant classic: 'Caps defeat Galaxy in dramatic high-scoring affair - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Draw New York Red Bulls 0-0 on the Road - D.C. United
- Sporting Earns 2-2 Draw vs. Portland in Home Finale - Sporting Kansas City
- Union head home for final regular-season match next Sunday - Philadelphia Union
- Postgame Notes: Real Salt Lake 2-1 Houston Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- New York City FC Clinches 1st Place in Eastern Conference - New York City FC
- Toronto FC (2) - Chicago Fire (2) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 4 - Sunday, September 29, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Chicago Fire Draw Toronto FC 2-2 in Last Home Match of the Season - Chicago Fire
- Dynamo Fall 2-1 at Real Salt Lake in Road Finale - Houston Dynamo
- Revolution Clinch Playoff Berth with 2-0 Win vs. New York City - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Take Home the Atlantic Cup, Draw 0-0 with D.C. United - New York Red Bulls
- FC Cincy draw even at home - FC Cincinnati
- Impact and Atlanta United Draw 1-1 at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Atlanta United Draws 1-1 against Montreal Impact - Atlanta United FC
- Michel Scores Late, Lions Earn Draw 1-1 at FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- New England Revolution Reveal 2019 Team Awards, Carles Gil as JetBlue Team MVP - New England Revolution
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Close Two-Game Road Trip in Utah - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union win first playoff game in franchise history
- Riverfront Alliance of Delaware County Selects NBBJ as Master Plan Architect
- Union Players and Coach Named Finalists for MLS End of Year Awards
- Philadelphia Union Unveil Bespoke Playoff Clothing Collection
- Philadelphia Union and Chick-Fil-A Partner to Feed Cadets Ahead of Army-Navy Cup VIII