Instant classic: 'Caps defeat Galaxy in dramatic high-scoring affair
CARSON, CA - Michaell Chirinos' added-time game-winner capped off a thrilling back-and-forth affair as Vancouver Whitecaps FC defeated LA Galaxy 4-3 at Dignity Health Sports Park on Sunday afternoon.
DOWNLOAD: Postmatch interviews with Marc Dos Santos, Doneil Henry, Tosaint Ricketts The victory marked a third straight result for Whitecaps FC, all coming in dramatic fashion. The game winner, which opened Chirinos' MLS account, followed goals from Doneil Henry, Theo Bair, and Tosaint Ricketts, as three Canadians scored for Whitecaps FC in the same match for the first time in club MLS history.
Galaxy superstar Zlatan Ibrahimovic tallied a goal and an assist to lead the home side, but it was not enough as the 'Caps put forth a complete team effort to secure the road win, with Inbeom Hwang tallying three assists on the afternoon.
Henry got things rolling in the 20th minute when he got behind Galaxy midfielder Efrain Álvarez to head in a Hwang corner inside the far post. LA Galaxy were quick to answer however, getting on the break with a long pass to Cristian Pavón along the left side, who laid the ball off to a surging Ibrahimovic for the equalizer just three minutes later.
Undaunted, Whitecaps FC kept the pressure on and almost responded instantly when Bair had a crafty attempt ring off the bottom of the crossbar and stay out. The Homegrown forward would get his reward in his 41st minute when Chirinos' ball through traffic deflected off Galaxy defender Daniel Steres. Bair kept the play alive in front of net and cleverly slipped a rolling ball past keeper Matt Lampson's outstretched legs to put the 'Caps back in the driver seat going into halftime.
The non-stop action continued in the second half. Just minutes after a highlight-reel save on an Álvarez shot from the centre of the box, Maxime Crépeau was caught off his line on a Galaxy break, and Uriel Antuna touched in a soft chip volley to knot things up just before the hour mark.
The 'Caps struck again in the 64th minute, showing patience in the attack as Érik Godoy sprung forward on the right to set up a Ricketts header in front of goal for a 3-2 lead. Then it was Galaxy substitute Chris Pontius' turn in the 86th minute, burying a goal on a chance that began with a long ball from Diego Polenta around the half line.
With the Galaxy attack pressing forward, the 'Caps snatched the full three points in added time, starting with a Jasser Khmiri clearance. Fredy Montero, who scored the late goal in the 'Caps last two matches, did well to hold the ball at midfield, then played it forward to Hwang, who had Chirinos to his left and only Lampson to beat. The duo played the counterattack masterfully for the 'Caps fourth goal, their most in a single match this season.
Whitecaps FC play their season finale next Sunday, October 6 when they host Real Salt Lake at BC Place. The match carries major postseason implications as RSL are just one behind LA Galaxy for fourth place in the Western Conference and home field advantage in the MLS Cup Playoffs. Visit whitecapsfc.com for ticket information.
INJURY UPDATES: Jasser Khmiri made his MLS debut, after undergoing meniscus surgery last November. Erik Godoy made his first appearance after a five-game absence due to a calf injury. Theo Bair (hamstring) and Brett Levis (back) were subbed off, and Yordy Reyna (left knee contusion) and Jake Nerwinski (calf tightness) were unavailable.
WFC Man of the Match: Inbeom Hwang
Referee: Alan Kelly
20' - VAN - Doneil Henry (Inbeom Hwang)
23' - LA - Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Cristian Pavón)
41' - VAN - Theo Bair
58' - LA - Uriel Antuna (Jonathan Dos Santos)
64' - VAN - Tosaint Ricketts (Érik Godoy, Inbeom Hwang)
86' - LA - Chris Pontius (Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Diego Polenta)
90'+3' - VAN - Michaell Chirinos (Inbeom Hwang, Fredy Montero)
Possession: LA 59.9% - VAN 40.1%
Shots: LA 17 - VAN 13
Shots on Goal: LA 7 - VAN 7
Saves: LA 3 - VAN 4
Fouls: LA 5 - VAN 6
Offsides: LA 2 - VAN 2
Corners: LA 4 - VAN 2
34' - LA - Sebastian Lletget
28.Matt Lampson; 25.Rolf Feltscher (12.Chris Pontius 83'), 5.Daniel Steres, 3.Diego Polenta, 4.Dave Romney (16.Jørgen Skjelvik 72'); 17.Sebastian Lletget, 8.Jonathan Dos Santos, 26.Efrain Álvarez (14.Joe Corona 66'); 18.Uriel Antuna, 9.Zlatan Ibrahimovic ©, 10.Cristian Pavón
Substitutes not used
41.Justin vom Steeg, 6.Servando Carrasco , 21.Giancarlo González, 22.Julian Araujo
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
16.Maxime Crépeau; 22.Érik Godoy, 20.Jasser Khmiri, 2.Doneil Henry ©, 46.Brett Levis (94.Victor "PC" Giro HT); 4.Inbeom Hwang, 15.Andy Rose, 31.Russell Teibert; 50.Theo Bair (23.Scott Sutter 72'), 87.Tosaint Ricketts (12.Fredy Montero 65'), 33.Michaell Chirinos
Substitutes not used
18.Zac MacMath, 6.Jon Erice, 13.Derek Cornelius
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 29, 2019
- FC Dallas Falls to Colorado Rapids 3-0 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park - FC Dallas
- LAFC Draws Minnesota United 1-1 on Sunday Night at Allianz Field - Los Angeles FC
- Quakes control destiny in season finale next Sunday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Instant classic: 'Caps defeat Galaxy in dramatic high-scoring affair - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Draw New York Red Bulls 0-0 on the Road - D.C. United
- Sporting Earns 2-2 Draw vs. Portland in Home Finale - Sporting Kansas City
- Union head home for final regular-season match next Sunday - Philadelphia Union
- Postgame Notes: Real Salt Lake 2-1 Houston Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- New York City FC Clinches 1st Place in Eastern Conference - New York City FC
- Toronto FC (2) - Chicago Fire (2) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 4 - Sunday, September 29, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Chicago Fire Draw Toronto FC 2-2 in Last Home Match of the Season - Chicago Fire
- Dynamo Fall 2-1 at Real Salt Lake in Road Finale - Houston Dynamo
- Revolution Clinch Playoff Berth with 2-0 Win vs. New York City - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Take Home the Atlantic Cup, Draw 0-0 with D.C. United - New York Red Bulls
- FC Cincy draw even at home - FC Cincinnati
- Impact and Atlanta United Draw 1-1 at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Atlanta United Draws 1-1 against Montreal Impact - Atlanta United FC
- Michel Scores Late, Lions Earn Draw 1-1 at FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- New England Revolution Reveal 2019 Team Awards, Carles Gil as JetBlue Team MVP - New England Revolution
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Close Two-Game Road Trip in Utah - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Transfer Centre Back Doneil Henry to K League 1 Club
- Whitecaps FC Appoint Experienced Bundesliga Club Executive Axel Schuster as Sporting Director
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2020
- RSL snap 'Caps three-match undefeated streak in season finale
- Instant classic: 'Caps defeat Galaxy in dramatic high-scoring affair