Ty Ronning Named WHL on the Run Player of the Week
Vancouver, B.C. - The Vancouver Giants in conjunction with the Western Hockey League are pleased to announce that 1997-born forward Ty Ronning (Burnaby, B.C.) has been named the WHL On the Run Player of the Week for the week ending Sunday, February 4th.
Over the course of the Giants three victories last week, Ronning, a prospect of the NHL's New York Rangers, led the charge offensively with five goals and two assists for seven points and a +3 rating. On Wednesday Ronning led all Giants with two goals and an assist in a 4-1 victory against the Calgary Hitmen. He followed that up with another two goals Friday night in a 4-2 victory against Calgary, and chimed in with a goal and an assist on Saturday in Vancouver's 5-4 victory over Medicine Hat. Ronning was named the first star on both Friday and Saturday.
Ronning is currently enjoying a historical season with the Giants. Through 52 games, Ronning leads the team in goals (47), points (64), power play goals (12) and insurance goals (7) and his 266 shots on goal are tops in the WHL. His 47 goals ranks him second in the Western Hockey League trailing only Moose Jaw's Jayden Halbgewachs. He's one goal shy of matching Evander Kane's single season franchise record for goals (48) and three shy from becoming the Vancouver Giants first ever 50-goal scorer.
Selected 15th overall by the Giants in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft, Ronning has appeared in 267 career regular season games. During that span he's notched 113 goals and 87 assists for 200 career WHL points.
After wrapping up an eight-game home stand with a 4-2-2-0 record, the Vancouver Giants (28-16-5-3) return to the road Wednesday for a battle with the B.C. Division leading Kelowna Rockets (32-16-3-1). The puck drops at 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2018
- Blazers Week in Review - Kamloops Blazers
- Royals and CMHA - BC Division Team up to Raise Awareness of Mental Health - Victoria Royals
- WHL Announces Weekly Award Winners - WHL
- Ty Ronning Named WHL on the Run Player of the Week - Vancouver Giants
- Blazers Announce B.C. Family Day Plans - Kamloops Blazers
- Chiefs Recall Cordel Larson Ahead of Road Trip - Spokane Chiefs
- Giants Wrap up January with a 4-1 Home Victory against Calgary - Vancouver Giants
- Raiders Sending Fan Bus to Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Warriors Unveil 2017 Hall of Fame Special Initiatives - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Chiefs Players to be on Hand at Local Fred Meyer Locations - Spokane Chiefs
- Canes Chatter - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Pats and Western Pizza Hosting 22nd Annual Have a Heart Night - Regina Pats
- Former Rockets - Where Are They Now? - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.