Royals and CMHA - BC Division Team up to Raise Awareness of Mental Health
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Royals and Canadian Mental Health Association - BC Division (CMHA) are teaming up to raise awareness about the importance of mental health on Friday night vs. the Kelowna Rockets.
The Royals' game on Friday, February 9th will feature:
A CMHA-run kiosk so fans can learn more about mental health Videos featuring Victoria players talking about the importance of mental health Public address announcements about mental health
The awareness campaign is part of the ongoing commitment by the Royals and CMHA - BC Division to implement Talk Today. Talk Today provides mental health support to players and raises awareness about mental health and suicide prevention throughout communities across the Western Hockey League.
A key piece of the Talk Today program has been to educate players about mental health and suicide prevention. Every team has received mental health training specific to suicide prevention. Each team is also now linked to a CMHA Mental Health Coach, who provides support and mental health resources to individuals in need.
"It's important to work with community organizations, like the Victoria Royals, who are dedicated to ending the stigma around mental illness and promoting mental health," Geoff Moffett, CMHA's Job Coach in Victoria said. "Conversations around mental health and suicide are important as it affects all of us."
"The Royals are pleased to once again work alongside the CMHA to help raise awareness about mental health," Royals' President and General Manager Cameron Hope said. "It is important that we all work toward ending any stigma associated with mental health and continue to reaffirm that there is strength in speaking out and asking for help."
Tickets are still available for Friday's game with puck drop at 7:05 p.m. Tickets can be purchased in person at the Select Your Tickets box office, over the phone by calling 250-220-7777, or online at www.selectyourtickets.com .
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2018
- Blazers Week in Review - Kamloops Blazers
- Royals and CMHA - BC Division Team up to Raise Awareness of Mental Health - Victoria Royals
- WHL Announces Weekly Award Winners - WHL
- Ty Ronning Named WHL on the Run Player of the Week - Vancouver Giants
- Blazers Announce B.C. Family Day Plans - Kamloops Blazers
- Chiefs Recall Cordel Larson Ahead of Road Trip - Spokane Chiefs
- Giants Wrap up January with a 4-1 Home Victory against Calgary - Vancouver Giants
- Raiders Sending Fan Bus to Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Warriors Unveil 2017 Hall of Fame Special Initiatives - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Chiefs Players to be on Hand at Local Fred Meyer Locations - Spokane Chiefs
- Canes Chatter - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Pats and Western Pizza Hosting 22nd Annual Have a Heart Night - Regina Pats
- Former Rockets - Where Are They Now? - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Victoria Royals Stories
- Royals Acquire Tyler Lees from Blades
- Royals Select John Wilson to Chair 2020 Memorial Cup Bid Committee
- Royals' Khore Elliott Named to Hockey Canada's National Junior Team
- Royals Select Phillip Schultz in CHL Import Draft
- Royals Announce 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule