Two Late Runs Secure Win for Explorers over T-Bones
KANSAS CITY, Kan - The Kansas City T-Bones fought hard, but fell 8-6 to the Sioux City Explorers on a hot Monday night in Kansas City. The T-Bones and Explorers lit up the score board combing for 14 runs, on 23 hits.
Barrett Astin (3-1) struggled, allowing eight earned runs on eleven hits in seven innings pitched for the T-Bones. Nate Samson knocked a home run over the left field wall in the first inning to give the Explorers an early 1-0 lead. In the bottom of the first, Zach Walters hit an RBI single to center field to score Todd Cunningham from second base. The T-Bones would go on to take a 3-1 lead in the second after Keith Curcio snuck a 2-run home run over the right field wall.
In the third inning, a single by Louis Durango followed by a wild pitch put runners at the corners for the Explorers. Back-to-back 6-3 put outs allowed two runs to score, tying the game 3-3. Sioux City would strike again in the fifth inning. Three consecutive singles by Dylan Kelly, Louis Durango, and Michael Lang loaded the bases for Sioux City. Samson hit a sharply hit single to right field that scored two runs. Jose Sermo hits into a fielder's choice tacking on another run to extend the lead 6-3.
The T-Bones never backed down. In the home half of the fifth, Cunningham hit his second double of the night. Nick Torres hit a single to put runners on first and third for Kansas City. Walters then drove in Cunningham from second after an RBI single up the middle. Cal Towey plucked a double to right field that scored Torres and Walters to tie the game 6-6.
Two late runs in the 7th and 8th innings helped secure a tough win for the Explorers over the T-Bones. T-Bones went on to lose by a final of 8-6. Barrett Astin (3-1) is credited with the loss tonight. Ryan Flores (2-0) is credited with the win tossing 2.2 scoreless innings.
The T-Bones fall to (12-10) on the season. Kansas City trails the (19-5) Explorers by six games in the South Division. The T-Bones and Explorers continue their four-game series Tuesday, June 12 at 7:05. Hear all the action on The T-Bones Broadcast Network.
Individual tickets, season, group, mini-plans and nightly party suites are on sale now and can be purchased by visiting the Box Office at T-Bones Stadium or 24/7 at www.tbonesbaseball.com. Box office hours are 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Saturday. For additional information or interview requests, members of the media may contact the T-Bones Media Relations Department at (817) 739-3693. Stay tuned to www.tbonesbaseball.com. and the T-Bones Facebook and Twitter pages for updates throughout the season.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 12, 2018
- Goldeyes Rally Late to Top RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- T-Bones' Homers and Pitching Shut Down X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Three-run Goldeyes eighth sinks RailCats, 4-1 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 24-Year-Old Baseball Player Makes Home at Assisted Living - Kansas City T-Bones
- Birds Sign Former NDSU Pitcher Folman, Place Jacobs on Waivers - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Goldeyes Sign Four Players, Including Former MLB Outfielder, Left-Hander Lambson Returns - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Walk 13 in Series-Opening Loss to Wingnuts - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Activate IF Randy Santiesteban from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Colin Willis Named AA Pointstreak Player Ofthe Week - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Rally to Steal Opener at AirHogs Stadium - Texas AirHogs
- Two Late Runs Secure Win for Explorers over T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
- Curt Smith's Five Hits Carry Saltdogs to 4-3 Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Birds Bunt Their Way to Victory - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Bullpen Shuts Down T-Bones as X's Win - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Tie Season High in Hits, Lose 6-5 in Walk-Off Fashion - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City T-Bones Stories
- T-Bones Perio Jr Named Championship MVP
- T-Bones Win with a Grand Slam; Chance to Clinch Championship Title Saturday
- T-Bones Host American Association Championship Games
- T-Bones Return Home for Championship Series
- Saints Make T-Bones Suffer in Game 2 of Championship Series