Two Late Runs Secure Win for Explorers over T-Bones
KANSAS CITY, Kan - The Kansas City T-Bones fought hard, but fell 8-6 to the Sioux City Explorers on a hot Monday night in Kansas City. The T-Bones and Explorers lit up the score board combing for 14 runs, on 23 hits.
Barrett Astin (3-1) struggled, allowing eight earned runs on eleven hits in seven innings pitched for the T-Bones. Nate Samson knocked a home run over the left field wall in the first inning to give the Explorers an early 1-0 lead. In the bottom of the first, Zach Walters hit an RBI single to center field to score Todd Cunningham from second base. The T-Bones would go on to take a 3-1 lead in the second after Keith Curcio snuck a 2-run home run over the right field wall.
In the third inning, a single by Louis Durango followed by a wild pitch put runners at the corners for the Explorers. Back-to-back 6-3 put outs allowed two runs to score, tying the game 3-3. Sioux City would strike again in the fifth inning. Three consecutive singles by Dylan Kelly, Louis Durango, and Michael Lang loaded the bases for Sioux City. Samson hit a sharply hit single to right field that scored two runs. Jose Sermo hits into a fielder's choice tacking on another run to extend the lead 6-3.
The T-Bones never backed down. In the home half of the fifth, Cunningham hit his second double of the night. Nick Torres hit a single to put runners on first and third for Kansas City. Walters then drove in Cunningham from second after an RBI single up the middle. Cal Towey plucked a double to right field that scored Torres and Walters to tie the game 6-6.
Two late runs in the 7th and 8th innings helped secure a tough win for the Explorers over the T-Bones. T-Bones went on to lose by a final of 8-6. Barrett Astin (3-1) is credited with the loss tonight. Ryan Flores (2-0) is credited with the win tossing 2.2 scoreless innings.
The T-Bones fall to (12-10) on the season. Kansas City trails the (19-5) Explorers by six games in the South Division. The T-Bones and Explorers continue their four-game series Tuesday, June 12 at 7:05. Hear all the action on The T-Bones Broadcast Network.
Individual tickets, season, group, mini-plans and nightly party suites are on sale now and can be purchased by visiting the Box Office at T-Bones Stadium or 24/7 at www.tbonesbaseball.com. Box office hours are 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Saturday. For additional information or interview requests, members of the media may contact the T-Bones Media Relations Department at (817) 739-3693. Stay tuned to www.tbonesbaseball.com. and the T-Bones Facebook and Twitter pages for updates throughout the season.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 12, 2018
- Goldeyes Rally Late to Top RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- T-Bones' Homers and Pitching Shut Down X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Three-run Goldeyes eighth sinks RailCats, 4-1 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 24-Year-Old Baseball Player Makes Home at Assisted Living - Kansas City T-Bones
- Birds Sign Former NDSU Pitcher Folman, Place Jacobs on Waivers - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Goldeyes Sign Four Players, Including Former MLB Outfielder, Left-Hander Lambson Returns - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Walk 13 in Series-Opening Loss to Wingnuts - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Activate IF Randy Santiesteban from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Colin Willis Named AA Pointstreak Player Ofthe Week - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Rally to Steal Opener at AirHogs Stadium - Texas AirHogs
- Two Late Runs Secure Win for Explorers over T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
- Curt Smith's Five Hits Carry Saltdogs to 4-3 Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Birds Bunt Their Way to Victory - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Bullpen Shuts Down T-Bones as X's Win - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Tie Season High in Hits, Lose 6-5 in Walk-Off Fashion - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.