24-Year-Old Baseball Player Makes Home at Assisted Living
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - T-Bones outfielder Nick Torres is an unlikely resident of The Piper Assisted Living and Memory Support in Kansas City, Kan. On Wednesday evening, residents of The Piper cheered on the T-Bones and their new neighbor.
Torres, his wife Korrin and their golden retriever, Scout, are part of the T-Bones Host Family program. Host families open up their home to a T-Bones player, providing him with his own room from early-May to mid-September. The program is designed to make it financially feasible for T-Bones players to pursue their career in professional baseball.
"Baseball is a universal love and crosses all ages," said Connie Michaelis, lifestyle consultant at The Piper. "We're always looking for intergenerational opportunities and this was perfect."
Residents of The Piper have welcomed Torres and his family with open arms, even hosting a party for them and other T-Bones players. The Piper has partnered with the T-Bones for three years.
"It has exceeded our expectations," Torres said. "We've been treated with such kindness and have really enjoyed getting to know some of our new neighbors. My favorite part is talking to them about experiences they've had in their lifetimes."
Torres was the fourth-round pick by the San Diego Padres in 2014, out of California Polytechnic State University. He spent 2017 with AA San Antonio in the Texas League where the right-handed batter hit .277 with 11 home runs and 61 RBIs.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 12, 2018
- Goldeyes Rally Late to Top RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- T-Bones' Homers and Pitching Shut Down X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Three-run Goldeyes eighth sinks RailCats, 4-1 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 24-Year-Old Baseball Player Makes Home at Assisted Living - Kansas City T-Bones
- Birds Sign Former NDSU Pitcher Folman, Place Jacobs on Waivers - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Goldeyes Sign Four Players, Including Former MLB Outfielder, Left-Hander Lambson Returns - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Walk 13 in Series-Opening Loss to Wingnuts - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Activate IF Randy Santiesteban from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Colin Willis Named AA Pointstreak Player Ofthe Week - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Rally to Steal Opener at AirHogs Stadium - Texas AirHogs
- Two Late Runs Secure Win for Explorers over T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
- Curt Smith's Five Hits Carry Saltdogs to 4-3 Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Birds Bunt Their Way to Victory - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Bullpen Shuts Down T-Bones as X's Win - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Tie Season High in Hits, Lose 6-5 in Walk-Off Fashion - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.