Three-run Goldeyes eighth sinks RailCats, 4-1
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - A three-run bottom of the eighth from the Winnipeg was too much for Gary to overcome in the middle game of the series on a cool Tuesday night as the RailCats fell to reigning champion, Goldeyes, 4-1. Tuesday's loss also ends Gary's run of five straight series wins and puts the RailCats and Goldeyes in a two-way tie for second place in the North Division.
Andrew Sohn gave the Goldeyes the opening lead for the second straight game with a solo homer to left in the bottom of the third. The homer was Sohn's first of the season and his second of three hits on the night.
Gary (14-10) evened the game at 1-1 with an unearned run in the top of the fifth. Alex Crosby pulled a two-out double down the first base line before Randy Santiesteban hit a ground ball to Goldeyes third baseman Josh Mazzola, however, Mazzola muffed the play, allowing Crosby to score.
Winnipeg (14-10) jumped in front for good with a three-run bottom of the eighth. Pinch-hitter Jordan Ebert made it a 2-1 contest with a sacrifice fly to left before Kevin Garcia hit a two-out, two-run homer to left, increasing the Goldeyes lead to 4-1.
Gary received a one-out single from Cole Fabio for his final of two hits in the top of the ninth, however, Goldeyes closer Victor Capellan (12) picked up his second save in as many nights and his league-best 12th after striking out the next two batters to end the game.
Cameron McVey (1-0) recorded the win with a scoreless eighth inning while Carter Johnson and Zach Hartman each threw a scoreless inning of relief for Winnipeg. Goldeyes starter Mitchell Lambson allowed an unearned over five innings in his season debut. The southpaw yielded five hits, walked none and struck out four.
Jeremy Holcombe (1-1) was charged with the loss after allowing two runs on a hit and a walk in one inning out of the bullpen for Gary. RailCats starter Jeff McKenzie tossed his third straight quality start in a no-decision, yielding one run on seven hits and three walks while striking out four over 6.1 innings. Jack Fowler retired two of three batters he faced out of the bullpen, allowing one hit (a two-run home run).
The RailCats conclude their season-long seven-game road trip on Wednesday at 7 p.m. against the Winnipeg Goldeyes. RHP Daniel Minor (3-2, 4.23) makes his first start in Canada since being traded from Winnipeg last season against the pitcher he was traded for, RHP Charle Rosario, (2-1, 2.81) in the series finale.
The RailCats return home to U.S. Steel Yard from their season-long seven-game road trip on Friday, June 15th vs. the Sioux City Explorers. Friday's series opener vs. Sioux City is Merrillville, Crown Point, DeMotte and Rensselear Community Night and a Fireworks Friday, presented by Fifth Third Bank. Friday's game is also Sandlot Night and the first of two Scout Night Campouts. Scout Night ticket packages range from $9 to $19 and feature Q & A with the players after the game, the movie Sandlot on the Jumbotron, postgame fireworks, a campout on the field and s'mores and breakfast the next morning.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 12, 2018
- Goldeyes Rally Late to Top RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- T-Bones' Homers and Pitching Shut Down X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Three-run Goldeyes eighth sinks RailCats, 4-1 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 24-Year-Old Baseball Player Makes Home at Assisted Living - Kansas City T-Bones
- Birds Sign Former NDSU Pitcher Folman, Place Jacobs on Waivers - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Goldeyes Sign Four Players, Including Former MLB Outfielder, Left-Hander Lambson Returns - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Walk 13 in Series-Opening Loss to Wingnuts - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Activate IF Randy Santiesteban from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Colin Willis Named AA Pointstreak Player Ofthe Week - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Rally to Steal Opener at AirHogs Stadium - Texas AirHogs
- Two Late Runs Secure Win for Explorers over T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
- Curt Smith's Five Hits Carry Saltdogs to 4-3 Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Birds Bunt Their Way to Victory - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Bullpen Shuts Down T-Bones as X's Win - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Tie Season High in Hits, Lose 6-5 in Walk-Off Fashion - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Acquire Infielder Figueroa from Atlantic League
- 'Cats Sign UTL Blodgett & RHP/OF Watkins to First Pro Contracts
- RailCats Acquire RHP Sinibaldi
- RailCats Announce Full Schedule and Opening Day for 2019 Season
- Win Unique Experiences with the 12 Days of RailCats Baseball