American Association Game Recaps
June 12, 2018 - American Association (AA) News Release
Winnipeg 2, Gary SouthShore 1 - Box Score
The Winnipeg Goldeye won an old-fashioned pitcher's duel with the Gary SouthShore RailCats 2-1 Monday afternoon.
1B Reynaldo Rodriguez (2-for-4) provided the first run of the day with a lead-off home run in the bottom of the fourth inning. Winnipeg added a second run in the seventh as DH Grant Heyman doubled and then scored when 2B Matt McCann (2-for-3) singled to centerfield. That proved to be enough as Gary's only run came in the eighth when DH Reggie Wilson (2-for-4) doubled and scored as 3B Mitch Glasser (3-for-4) doubled later in the inning.
On the bump, starting pitcher Alex Boshers threw 7.2 innings, gave up just one run on five hits and had six strikeouts in the winning effort. Reliever Victor Capellan bagged his league-leading 11th save of 2018.
For the RailCats, starter Lars Liguori took the loss despite allowing just two runs in seven innings on seven hits while striking out three.
Lincoln 4, Texas 3 - Box Score
The Lincoln Saltdogs edged past the Texas AirHogs thanks in large part to a big day at the plate for DH Curt Smith.
Smith finished the day 5-for-5 with three RBIs. He had four singles and one two-run home run in the top of the fifth inning. The blast was his sixth of 2018 campaign. Texas scored first in the game thanks to back-to-back solo home runs from 1B Correlle Prime and LF Dillon Thomas. in the bottom of the first. Smith cut the lead in half with an RBI in the top of the third before the AirHogs added another run - an RBI single from 3B Chen Chen - to reclaim the two-run lead.
Curt's home run tied the score and RF Angel Reyes (2-for-4) scored the eventual game-winning run on a wild pitch in the top of the seventh.
Fargo-Moorhead 5, St. Paul 4 - Box Score
The Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks moved in front in the top of the third inning and never trailed on the way to a 5-4 win against the St. Paul Saints.
The RedHawks broke the game open in the third with three runs; two from a CF Devan Ahart single and another from DH Keury De La Cruz (2-for-4). In the fourth, RF Tim Colwell singled home 3B Tommy Mendonca to push the lead to 4-0. In the bottom of the fourth, LF Jayce Boyd (2-for-4) brought his team within a run with a three-run home run but De La Cruz responded with a solo shot of his own in the top of the fifth.
CF Kes Carter (2-for-3) tripled in the bottom of the eighth to allow 3B Dante Bichette Jr. to score but that was the final run of the evening.
Sioux Falls 6, Chicago 5 - Box Score
The Sioux Falls Canaries walked off on the Chicago Dogs 6-5 with a pair of runs in the bottom of the ninth inning.
Sioux Falls entered the ninth inning trailing by a single run but RF Jordan Smith hit a lead-off double and then 3B Burt Reynolds (2-for-3) drew a walk to put the winning run on base. In the next at-bat, SS Blake Schmit (2-for-4) laid down a bunt that was fielded by the pitcher but his throw missed the mark and the error allowed both Smith and Reynolds to score and end the game.
For the game, Reynolds, Schmit and C Maxx Garrett each recorded a pair of hits. For the Dogs, 1B Dalton Blaser went 4-for-5, 2B Edwin Arroyo went 3-for-5 with his first home run of the year and LF Zach Racusin added a pair of hits.
Sioux City 8, Kansas City 6 - Box Score
The Sioux City Explorers pulled away from the Kansas City T-Bones late to claim an 8-6 win at CommunityAmerica Ballpark.
The contest was knotted at 3-3 and both teams tallied three runs in the fifth the game was still tied. In the fifth, SS Nate Samson (2-for-4) singled in a pair of runs and scored when 2B Jose Sermo reached base with a fielder's choice but 2B Zach Walters (3-for-4) had an RBI single and 3B Cal Towey doubled in two more runs in the next at-bat to keep things level.
RF Michael Lang (2-for-5) gave the Explorers the lead in the top of the seventh with an RBI double and LF Daniel Jackson (2-for-4) added another run with an RBI single in the eighth.
Wichita 6, Cleburne 1 - Box Score
Wichita knocked off the Cleburne Railroaders 6-1 with the help of a five-run second inning.
In the top of the second, Wichita drew five straight walks to plate a pair of runs before the Railroaders made a pitching change. An RBI single and a wild pitch after the change ultimately gave the Wingnuts a 5-0 lead. That lead grew to 6-0 when John Nester scored as Hunter Clanin reached base on a fielder's choice. Leo Vargas went 2-for-3 with a run scored and an RBI.
Cleburne's only run came in the top of the seventh inning when Cameron Monger (2-for-3) doubled home Chevy Clarke.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 12, 2018
- Goldeyes Rally Late to Top RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- T-Bones' Homers and Pitching Shut Down X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Three-run Goldeyes eighth sinks RailCats, 4-1 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 24-Year-Old Baseball Player Makes Home at Assisted Living - Kansas City T-Bones
- Birds Sign Former NDSU Pitcher Folman, Place Jacobs on Waivers - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Goldeyes Sign Four Players, Including Former MLB Outfielder, Left-Hander Lambson Returns - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Walk 13 in Series-Opening Loss to Wingnuts - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Activate IF Randy Santiesteban from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Colin Willis Named AA Pointstreak Player Ofthe Week - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Rally to Steal Opener at AirHogs Stadium - Texas AirHogs
- Two Late Runs Secure Win for Explorers over T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
- Curt Smith's Five Hits Carry Saltdogs to 4-3 Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Birds Bunt Their Way to Victory - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Bullpen Shuts Down T-Bones as X's Win - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Tie Season High in Hits, Lose 6-5 in Walk-Off Fashion - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.