Tucker Strikes for 33, Vipers Give Oklahoma City the Blues
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (16-10) defeated the Oklahoma City Blue (20-8), 111-105, on a road win Tuesday night. Gary Payton ll nears a triple double and Dakarai Tucker drains 8 threes en route to a 33 point performance.
The Cox Convention Center played host to tonight's contest between the Vipers and the OKC Blue in which both teams took turns claiming the lead early on. Following four lead changes in the first, Oklahoma City escaped with a slim 29-24 lead heading into the second.
In the second quarter of action Oklahoma City took advantage of a few turnovers to pad their lead. A buzzer beater dagger from Abdul Gaddy sent the Blue into the locker room ahead by ten 63-53.
Bruno Caboclo was able to drop 12 points in the half while Payton ll tallied 11 points along with 4 steals to help the Vipers on both ends of the court.
Bryce Alford was the offensive power for the Blue with his 19 points at the break, he added on two assists.
RGV adjusted at the half and came out on a mission as they struck for 38 points in the third quarter to turn the game around. With a convincing 91-79 lead heading into the fourth quarter the Vipers stunned the Blue who only offered up 16 points during the fast paced third, their lowest in the contest at this point.
A cardiac fourth quarter offered up plenty of action as both teams traded blows to take this one to the wire. RGV was hoping to snap Oklahoma City's six game winning streak in villainous fashion as Tucker dominated on offense with a new season high 33 points, he hit 8 three-pointers tying his season high. Once the final buzzer went off the Blue found themselves on the losing end of a great matchup. Veteran forward for the Vipers, Chris Walker had an impressive new season high 16 rebounds in the contest to help boost his team on the road.
Payton ll was solid for the Vipers in this one as his final stat line showed 20 points, 11 rebounds, 8 assists, and 6 steals. He locked in the double-double and was not far off from a triple-double.
Alford ended the contest as the scoring leader for Oklahoma City with 28 points. KJ Daniels and Kevin Harvey contributed 14 points apiece for the Blue on the night as well.
The Vipers make the trip back home to prepare for a matchup against the Memphis Hustle at Bert Ogden Arena on Friday January 18. Tipoff will be at 7 p.m. For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 16, 2019
- Skyforce Prove to be Too Much for Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Force Bench Scores 75 Points in Win over Wolves - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Nic Thornton Recognized as Memphis Hustle High School Athlete of the Month Presented by Campbell Clinic - Memphis Hustle
- Windy City's Lemon Jr. Suspended and Fined - G League
- Lakeland Magic Host 2,000 Students for School Day Game - Lakeland Magic
- Stars Acquire Kyle Benjamin - Salt Lake City Stars
- Wisconsin Herd Completes Trade with Austin Spurs - Wisconsin Herd
- Austin Spurs Obtain Travis Trice in Trade with Wisconsin Herd - Austin Spurs
- BayHawks Capitalize on Late Second Chance Opportunities to Defeat Herd - Wisconsin Herd
- Long Island Gets Back to Winning Ways with Third Straight Home Victory - Long Island Nets
- Balanced Nets Overwhelm Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Atlanta Hawks Assign Tyler Dorsey, Transfer Alex Poythress to Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Blue Rally Falls Short against Vipers - Oklahoma City Blue
- Hustle Doomed by Balanced Effort from South Bay - Memphis Hustle
- Tucker Strikes for 33, Vipers Give Oklahoma City the Blues - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Vipers Premium Dates Released Ahead of 2019-20 Season
- Blair Leads Vipers to Top of G League
- Rio Grande Valley Vipers Earn Third NBA G League Championship
- The Chase for Three Continues: Vipers Force a Winner Take All in the 2019 NBA G League Finals
- Vipers Fall Short to Nets in Game 1 of NBA G League Finals | April 7