Tribute to the Negro Leagues Set for April 17th
(UPTOWN CHARLOTTE, NC) -- On Tuesday, April 17th at BB&T Ballpark, the Charlotte Knights will once again showcase the rich tradition of the Negro Leagues and welcome four former players, as well as Negro League historians, and a customized historical display featuring photos, artifacts, and more. This year's celebration will once again serve as the team's annual Jackie Robinson Day Tribute, which will feature all Charlotte Knights players wearing #42 jerseys for the game against the Rochester Red Wings (Triple-A Affiliate of the Minnesota Twins).
Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier on April 15, 1947 and Major League Baseball celebrates Jackie Robinson Day each year on April 15th. The Knights have celebrated the day each year at BB&T Ballpark with a special Tribute to the Negro Leagues. This year, the Knights are thrilled to announce that Sharon Robinson, the daughter of Jackie Robinson, will also be on hand for this year's event.
Tuesday's 7:04 p.m. game will feature four former Negro League players on-hand to meet fans and sign autographs. The five former players who will take part in the team's Negro League Tribute Day are Eddie "G.G." Burton, Luther "Luke" Atkinson, Sam Allen, and Bill Cathcart. The Knights will also honor the memory of Carl "Satch" Forney, who participated in the team's previous three Negro League Nights. Forney passed away on December 16, 2017.
Ray Banks, a Negro League historian, will bring his customized historical display from Baltimore for all fans to enjoy at the game on Tuesday. The one-of-a-kind display features photographs, baseball gear and other artifacts that help tell the story of the period before baseball became completely racially integrated at the Major League level. Additionally, Negro League ambassador Michael Turner Webb, a Charlotte resident, will also be on hand for Tuesday's game.
Gates are set to open at 6:00 p.m. for Tuesday's game. Single-game tickets for this game, as well as all Charlotte Knights games this season, are now available by phone at 704-274-8282, in person at the BB&T Ballpark Ticket Office, or online at charlotteknights.com.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 16, 2018
- Bats Back Allard in 6-1 Win over Scranton/Wilkes-Barre - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cozens, Walding Power Pigs to 7-3 Victory - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Lured In: RailRiders lose 6-1 at Stripers - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Long Ball Lifts PawSox Past Columbus, 9-6 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Clippers Fall to Pawtucket in Snow-Riddled Game One - Columbus Clippers
- Hens Hold off Bulls for Second Straight Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tribute to the Negro Leagues Set for April 17th - Charlotte Knights
- Tribe Postponed for Third Consecutive Day - Indianapolis Indians
- Chiefs and Indians Postponed Monday, Doubleheader Set for Tuesday at 4:05 p.m. - Syracuse Mets
- Monday's Bats/Bisons Game Postponed - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Monday's Bisons Games against Louisville Postponed - Buffalo Bisons
- Monday: TD Bank Dog Day, Youth Cap Giveaway - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Torres Honored by International League - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Kingham Earns IL Pitcher of the Week Honors - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL