Trey Johnson Scores 48 But Jam Falter in Double-Overtime
BAKERSFIELD, March 18, 2011 - The Bakersfield Jam (26-16) fell to the Erie BayHawks (28-15) by a score of 121-123 in double-overtime Friday night. Trey Johnson scored an NBA D-League season high 48 points. Erie's Ivan Johnson finished with a triple-double of 34 points, 11 rebounds, and 10 assists.
The Jam came out cold tonight, shooting only 31.6% from the field compared to BayHawks' 53.8% in the first quarter. Bakersfield quickly found themselves down by as many as 16 points, but entered halftime trailing only 49-56 behind Trey Johnson's 15 first half points. Johnson took over the game in the second half by scoring 25 second half points. Derrick Byars' put-back after Willie Warren misfired tied the game at 102 with 10 seconds left in the regulation. Kyle Spain missed a lay-up on the other end and Warren's half-court attempt did not fall, sending the game into overtime.
In the first overtime, the Jam trailed by 3 with 36.5 seconds left until a Trey Johnson three-pointer tied it at 112. Ivan Johnson missed a jump shot with 16 seconds to go and it looked like Erie would get another shot at sealing this game when Spain rebounded, but Warren stole it. Trey Johnson could not connect on a three-pointer for the win.
In the second overtime, Jam down by 2, Trey Johnson tied the game at 121 on a lay-up with 6.4 seconds remaining. On the next possession, Tiny Gallon fouled Ivan Johnson who converted both free-throws to put Erie up 123-121 with 3.4 seconds left in the game. Trey Johnson's jump shot to tie the game did not fall as the time expired.
Clippers assignee, Willie Warren, finished the game with 16 points, 5 rebounds and 8 assists. Derrick Byars tallied 13 points and grabbed 7 boards. Luke Zeller had a double-double of 10 points and 11 rebounds.
Erie's Blake Ahearn scored 24 points and dished out 7 assists. Forward Tasmin Mitchell had 22 points, 8 rebounds and 5 assists. Erik Daniels recorded 16 points and 16 rebounds.
Bakersfield and Erie will battle again tomorrow night at the Jam Events Center at 7 p.m. PST.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 19, 2011
- New Mexico tops Tulsa - Tulsa 66ers
- Big Second Quarter Keys T-Birds to Win - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Wizards win with just eight players - Idaho Stampede
- Flash Drop Second Game to Bighorns - Utah Flash
- Simmons, O'Bryant Power Bighorns Past Flash, 91-81 - Reno Bighorns
- McNeal's Big Second Half Paces Vipers Victory - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Acquires Scales - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- McNeal Returns to Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
- Trey Johnson Scores 48 But Jam Falter in Double-Overtime - Bakersfield Jam
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.