Big Second Quarter Keys T-Birds to Win
Rio Rancho, NM - The New Mexico Thunderbirds (17-27) used a big second quarter in which they outscored the Tulsa 66ers (30-15) by 20 points to key a 99-86 victory.
The Tulsa 66ers jumped out to an early 7-0 in the first quarter, keyed by a couple of early 3-pointers from Larry Owens. It took the T-Birds nearly three minutes to score their first points of the game. The T-Birds got within one point a couple of different times in the quarter, but then as time expired in the first quarter Matt Bouldin hit a 3-pointer and was fouled for a four point play that gave the 66ers a 23-18 lead.
The T-Birds used a big second quarter in which they outscored the 66ers 29-9 to take a 15 point half time lead. With 5:36 to go in the second quarter, Tulsa led 30-28. The Thunderbirds then closed the half on a 19-2 run to take a 47-32 lead. Dar Tucker led all scorers with 10 points in the half including two late 3-pointers during the T-Birds run.
In the third quarter, the 66ers were able to cut the T-Birds lead to 13 with on a Ryan Reid layup with 6:37 to go in the quarter. The Thunderbirds then finished the quarter on a 17-8 run capped by a J.R. Giddens tip in with one second to go in the quarter to give them their largest lead of the game 76-54. The T-Birds would hold off a late run by the 66ers in the fourth quarter and go on to win by 0 points.
For the second straight night Dar Tucker led a balanced T-Birds scoring attack with 26 points. Four other T-Birds also scored double digit points.
The T-Birds will continue their six-game homestand on Tuesday when they take on the Bakersfield Jam at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday will be Darvin Ham Look Alike Night, where all fans dressed like the T-Birds head coach, Darvin Ham will get in free. The first 500 fans will also get a Thunderbirds Temporary Tattoo giveaway.
Thunderbirds' single game tickets are currently on sale at www.nmtbirds.com or by calling 505-265-3865. The Thunderbirds also offer family four packs: 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 nachos, and 4 drinks for $44.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 19, 2011
- New Mexico tops Tulsa - Tulsa 66ers
- Big Second Quarter Keys T-Birds to Win - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Wizards win with just eight players - Idaho Stampede
- Flash Drop Second Game to Bighorns - Utah Flash
- Simmons, O'Bryant Power Bighorns Past Flash, 91-81 - Reno Bighorns
- McNeal's Big Second Half Paces Vipers Victory - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Acquires Scales - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- McNeal Returns to Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
- Trey Johnson Scores 48 But Jam Falter in Double-Overtime - Bakersfield Jam
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.