Toronto FC Acquire Nicolas Benezet on Loan
Toronto FC announced that the club has acquired winger Nicolas Benezet on loan with an option to buy from En Avant de Guingamp (Guingamp) of the French Ligue 2, using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). Benezet will be added to the roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC).
"We're very excited to add Nico to the team. He's an experienced player that can play multiple attacking positions. He's played at the highest level in France, and we feel he can play a positive role in helping us achieve our 2019 goals," said Toronto FC General Manager Ali Curtis.
Benezet, 28, made 86 combined appearances, registering 12 goals and 10 assists over four seasons with Guingamp. He was part of the squad that finished runners-up in the 2018/2019 Coupe de la Ligue. Benezet spent his youth career with Montpellier youth academy before joining Nîmes B at the age of 13. He made his professional debut with the first team (Nîmes Olympique) on October 15, 2010, when he came on as a substitute in a Ligue 2 match against Istres. In 2010, he signed his first professional contract with Nîmes Olympique of the French Ligue 1 on December 8. He went on to make 59 appearances with 11 goals and 12 assists over three seasons. After his time with Nîmes, the winger joined club Évian (French League 1), where he made 42 appearances in two seasons. Benezet went on loan to SM Caen in 2015, appearing in 12 matches and scored four goals.
Internationally, Benezet represented France at the youth level. The winger made three appearances with the U-20 National Team, scoring two goals.
TRANSACTION: Toronto FC acquire winger Nicolas Benezet on loan with an option to buy from En Avant de Guingamp of the French Ligue 2, using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM).
Birthdate: February 24, 1991 (Age - 28)
Birth Place: Montpellier, France
Last Club: En Avant de Guingamp
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 30, 2019
- Orlando City SC notches final Crossbar kick to win MLS All-Star Skills Challenge presented by Target - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Statement on Head Coach Mike Petke's Sanctions - Real Salt Lake
- Sanctions Announced for Real Salt Lake Head Coach Mike Petke - MLS
- Toronto FC Acquire Nicolas Benezet on Loan - Toronto FC
- FC Cincinnati Academy Announces Coaching Staff - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City SC Signs Uruguayan Midfielder Mauricio Pereyra - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Acquire Argentine Forward Andres Rios - San Jose Earthquakes
- A Guide to MLS All-Star Week for Nashville SC Fans - Nashville SC
- "Salute to Service" campaign kicks off ahead of August 17 game celebration - FC Cincinnati
- Major League Soccer Establishes Player Engagement to Provide Pivotal Resources to Players at Every Stage of Their Careers - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Sign Goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau to a Contract Extension - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Army-Navy Cup VIII Returns to Talen Energy Stadium - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: July 30 - August 3, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.