Orlando City SC Signs Uruguayan Midfielder Mauricio Pereyra
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC has agreed to a deal with Uruguayan playmaker Mauricio Pereyra [Peh-rei-rah] through the 2020 season. Pereyra joins City as a mid-year Designated Player on a free transfer after his contract expired with FC Krasnodar, pending an International Transfer Certificate and P1 Visa. Pereyra will occupy an International Spot.
"As a Club we are always looking to strengthen our roster and Mauricio fits the mold of what we look for in a new acquisition. We have important matches on the horizon both in league play and U.S. Open Cup competition, and we feel Mauricio will make an impact for us as we close out the 2019 campaign," Orlando City SC EVP of Soccer Operations Luiz Muzzi said. "The move also makes sense when you look at the roster flexibility and player designations for 2020."
Pereyra, 29, began his professional career with Club Nacional de Football in the first division of soccer in Uruguay. The midfielder's first match came in a qualifying match in the 2009 Copa Libertadores. Pereyra would go on to compete for Club Nacional until the 2011 season, where he competed in 61 total matches.
In August of 2011, Pereyra was transferred to Club Atlético Lanús, to compete in the top division in Argentina. Pereyra competed for Lanús through the 2012/2013 campaign. While in Argentina, Pereyra recorded 52 appearances across all competitions.
At the start of 2013, Pereyra signed with FC Krasnodar in the top league of Russian soccer, where he truly found a home. Through his tenure, Pereyra competed in Russia from the 2012 season until the end of the 2019 campaign.
During that stretch, Pereyra led the FC Krasnodar squad to five top-five finishes in Russian Premier League play. Pereyra appeared in over 200 matches across all competitions for FC Krasnodar, including 11 matches in Europa League Qualifying, and 28 matches in Europa League.
In total, Pereyra has recorded 36 goals and 40 assists in his senior career. In the last two seasons, Pereyra recorded career highs in assists in Premier Liga competition while with FC Krasnodar.
TRANSACTION: Orlando City SC signs midfielder Mauricio Pereyra via free transfer as a mid-year Designated Player through 2020.
Name: Mauricio Pereyra
Weight: 145 lbs
Born: Montevideo, Uruguay
Hometown: Montevideo, Uruguay
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 30, 2019
- Orlando City SC notches final Crossbar kick to win MLS All-Star Skills Challenge presented by Target - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Statement on Head Coach Mike Petke's Sanctions - Real Salt Lake
- Sanctions Announced for Real Salt Lake Head Coach Mike Petke - MLS
- Toronto FC Acquire Nicolas Benezet on Loan - Toronto FC
- FC Cincinnati Academy Announces Coaching Staff - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City SC Signs Uruguayan Midfielder Mauricio Pereyra - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Acquire Argentine Forward Andres Rios - San Jose Earthquakes
- A Guide to MLS All-Star Week for Nashville SC Fans - Nashville SC
- "Salute to Service" campaign kicks off ahead of August 17 game celebration - FC Cincinnati
- Major League Soccer Establishes Player Engagement to Provide Pivotal Resources to Players at Every Stage of Their Careers - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Sign Goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau to a Contract Extension - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Army-Navy Cup VIII Returns to Talen Energy Stadium - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: July 30 - August 3, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.