Real Salt Lake Statement on Head Coach Mike Petke's Sanctions
HERRIMAN, Utah - Real Salt Lake Head Coach Mike Petke has been issued a three-game suspension and $25,000 fine by Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber and an additional three games by the Leagues Cup Competition Committee for conduct following Real Salt Lake's Leagues Cup match against Tigres UANL on Wednesday, July 24. Petke has already served one game of his MLS suspension and will serve the remaining two matches on Saturday, August 3, against New York City FC and on Saturday, August 10, on the road against Sporting Kansas City.
The club has issued the following statement:
"We hold everyone in our organization - particularly the leadership - to the highest standards and expect them to treat everyone with dignity and respect. We have the utmost respect for the referees, PRO and Major League Soccer and will be working with the League to ensure that everyone in our organization treats all referees, players, coaches and fans with the dignity, respect, civility and professionalism that is consistent with our values. Although we appreciate Coach Petke's passion and drive to win, it should never come at the expense of those values. We support and agree with the League's decision on this matter. Real Salt Lake will additionally be suspending Coach Petke from all club activity for two weeks, without pay. In addition, he will be required to attend anger management courses to help remedy what has been a recurring issue and he will be required to issue written apologies to both the League and the individual referees. As a Club we apologize to our fans for this incident and going forward will continue to demand that all staff adhere to the highest personal standards, without excuse."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 30, 2019
- Orlando City SC notches final Crossbar kick to win MLS All-Star Skills Challenge presented by Target - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Statement on Head Coach Mike Petke's Sanctions - Real Salt Lake
- Sanctions Announced for Real Salt Lake Head Coach Mike Petke - MLS
- Toronto FC Acquire Nicolas Benezet on Loan - Toronto FC
- FC Cincinnati Academy Announces Coaching Staff - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City SC Signs Uruguayan Midfielder Mauricio Pereyra - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Acquire Argentine Forward Andres Rios - San Jose Earthquakes
- A Guide to MLS All-Star Week for Nashville SC Fans - Nashville SC
- "Salute to Service" campaign kicks off ahead of August 17 game celebration - FC Cincinnati
- Major League Soccer Establishes Player Engagement to Provide Pivotal Resources to Players at Every Stage of Their Careers - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Sign Goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau to a Contract Extension - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Army-Navy Cup VIII Returns to Talen Energy Stadium - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: July 30 - August 3, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Visits Minnesota United FC in Maiden Voyage to Allianz Field
- Real Salt Lake Defeats San Jose Earthquakes 1-0
- Real Salt Lake Hosts San Jose in Midweek Clash at Rio Tinto Stadium
- Real Salt Lake Academy Names Coaching Staff
- Real Salt Lake Drops 1-0 Result at Portland Timbers FC