Tony Waiters to be Inducted into Whitecaps FC Ring of Honour
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Tuesday that Tony Waiters will become the fifth inductee into the club's Ring of Honour at the May 31 anniversary match versus Toronto FC.
Waiters will be joined during his induction by 15 other members of the famous Whitecaps 1979 NASL Soccer Bowl championship team that he led as head coach.
"It means a great deal to come into the Ring of Honour," said Waiters. "To those people who have supported the team so well, thank you very much for this honour that I'm receiving. As a coach you evaluate your own performance before anyone else evaluates you. Forty years later they still remember what we accomplished as a team, and I hope that it happens again because this city means a heck of a lot to us."
DOWNLOAD: Waiters reflects on his time coaching the 'Caps
In his two full seasons and two half seasons as Whitecaps head coach, Waiters amassed a record of 66-30 in NASL play. He would go on to become head coach of Canada's men's national team, leading the Red & White to the '84 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, and then to their first FIFA World Cup appearance at Mexico '86.
Prior to his induction into the Ring of Honour, Waiters will be inducted into the BC Sports Hall of Fame in the coach/builder category at their annual gala this coming Thursday, May 23 at the Vancouver Convention Centre. The BC Sports Hall of Fame will also be opening a 1979 Whitecaps championship exhibit to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the title winning team.
Waiters joins 2014 inductees Bob Lenarduzzi, Andrea Neil, Carl Valentine, and Domenic Mobilio in the Whitecaps FC Ring of Honour.
Leading up to the match, BC Place will be offering a limited number of tickets every Thursday at 11 a.m. PT for $19.79. Tickets will be released online at ticketmaster.ca/whitecaps.
Following the match, fans are invited to join members of the 1979 team for a social event at the BC Sports Hall of Fame from 9:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. PT. Tickets are $25, including one drink. Net proceeds will be donated to Jumpstart. Space is limited. Tickets are available online at whitecapsfc.com.
Whitecaps FC return home this Saturday, May 25 to take on FC Dallas during the club's annual Pride Match. For information visit whitecapsfc.com/pride.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 21, 2019
- MNUFC Loans Midfielder Romario Ibarra to C.F. Pachuca - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- the Weston Weekly: Regression to the Mean; Bond Villians and More - Orlando City SC
- New Kickoff Times Announced for Revolution Home Matches on June 26 and July 27 - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: New York Hosts Vancouver in Midweek Nonconference Action - New York Red Bulls
- Tony Waiters to be Inducted into Whitecaps FC Ring of Honour - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS-Led U.S. Begins FIFA U-20 World Cup against Ukraine on Friday - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Announce Formation of Safe Sport Advisory Board
- Watch It Live Presented by Phillips Brewing & Malting Co.
- Whitecaps FC Announce Roster Updates for MLS Is Back Tournament
- Whitecaps FC Loan Gianfranco Facchineri to Canadian Premier League Club AtlÃÂ©tico Ottawa
- Whitecaps FC Launch Summer Camps and Academy Centre Programs