Match Preview: New York Hosts Vancouver in Midweek Nonconference Action
HARRISON, N.J. - Winners of four of their last five matches, the New York Red Bulls (5-5-2, 17 pts) welcome Vancouver Whitecaps FC (3-6-4, 13 pts) to Red Bull Arena on Wednesday. Opening kick is slated for 8 p.m. ET with coverage on MSG+, MSG Go, TSN and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.
New York Red Bulls Radio begins at 7 p.m. ET with Countdown to Kickoff, presented by Honda, hosted by Matt Harmon and Steve Jolley. Ernesto Motta will carry the Spanish play-by-play, beginning at 7:30 p.m.
New York and Vancouver will meet for the 10th time in league as Whitecaps FC own a slight edge in the all-time series at 3-2-4. The Red Bulls, however, are unbeaten in the last three (2-0-1) matches against Whitecaps FC. Vancouver is the only team in MLS to have a winning record (2-1-2) against New York at Red Bull Arena across all competitions.
Since 2018, the Red Bulls have held serve against Western Conference foes as they own a 13-2-2 record and own a plus-22 goal differential (GF: 41, GA: 19). New York has tallied at least two goals 13 times against teams in the West and have
recorded three clean sheets. This season, the Red Bulls are 3-1-1 against the West, which includes two of their wins against current MLS Playoff teams (Galaxy, FC Dallas).
Daniel Royer, who is known for his goal scoring, currently leads New York in assists in league play (4) and across all competitions (5). The Austrian winger has been timely with his assists this season as he has a team-best three game-winning assists, all of which have come in three of the Red Bulls last four wins.
New York will have another quick turnaround as they travel to face FC Cincinnati on Saturday, May 25. Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. ET with coverage on MSG, MSG Go and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 21, 2019
- MNUFC Loans Midfielder Romario Ibarra to C.F. Pachuca - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- the Weston Weekly: Regression to the Mean; Bond Villians and More - Orlando City SC
- New Kickoff Times Announced for Revolution Home Matches on June 26 and July 27 - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: New York Hosts Vancouver in Midweek Nonconference Action - New York Red Bulls
- Tony Waiters to be Inducted into Whitecaps FC Ring of Honour - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS-Led U.S. Begins FIFA U-20 World Cup against Ukraine on Friday - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Defenders Aaron Long and Kyle Duncan Earn U.S. Men's National Team Call-Ups
- New York Red Bulls Announce End of Year Roster Decisions
- Red Bulls Knocked out of MLS Cup Playoffs; Fall to Columbus, 3-2
- New York Travels to Columbus for Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Matchup
- New York Red Bulls Players and Pediatric Patients Virtually Design Posters to Mark Five-Year Anniversary of Tackle Kids Cancer