Timbers Weekly Update: October 18, 2018
PORTLAND, Ore. - Following an international break, the Portland Timbers play host to Real Salt Lake in the club's final regular-season home match of the season on Sunday, Oct. 21, at Providence Park. Beginning at 2 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS and local radio broadcasts on 750 AM/102.9 FM The Game (English) and La GranD 1150 AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
The Timbers (14-9-9, 51pts) could clinch a berth in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs as early as Thursday night with loss or draw by Real Salt Lake against the New England Revolution. With just two matches remaining on the regular-season schedule, Portland currently sits in fifth place in the Western Conference standings, trailing fourth-place Seattle Sounders FC (53pts) by two points and Los Angeles FC and Sporting Kansas City, both on 56 points and tied for second place, by five points. In addition, the Timbers are five points ahead of Real Salt Lake (46pts) in sixth place and six points clear of the LA Galaxy (45pts) in seventh place.
Portland registered its ninth shutout of the season in its last home match on Sept. 29, playing to a scoreless draw with FC Dallas. The Timbers have registered seven clean sheets at Providence Park in 2018, which ranks tied for the third-most home shutouts in MLS this season. In their 16 home games in 2018, the Timbers have conceded just 13 goals; only two teams have allowed fewer goals in home matches this season than Portland.
Against Real Salt Lake
Sunday's match marks the second meeting of the season between the two sides with Portland recording a 4-1 win on the road against Real Salt Lake on Oct. 6. Sebastián Blanco recorded a second-half brace and added an assist, while Jeremy Ebobisse added a goal and an assist. In addition, Lucas Melano scored his first goal of the 2018 season for the Timbers.
The Timbers conclude the regular season on the road against Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Sunday, Oct. 28, at BC Place. Beginning at 1:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a local television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS and local radio broadcasts on 750 AM/102.9 FM The Game (English) and La GranD 1150 AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
TEAM MEDIA SOURCES
Television: "Timbers in 30"
Throughout the season, "Timbers in 30," hosted by Jake Zivin and Ross Smith, will offer inside access to the club and provide analysis with in-studio appearances from Timbers coaches and players. Previously aired shows and "Timbers in 30" features can be found at www.timbers.com. This week, "Timbers in 30" airs on Friday at 6:30 p.m. (Pacific) on FOX 12 Oregon with Timbers midfielder Diego Valeri in studio.
Radio: "Talk Timbers"
The Timbers' weekly radio talk show, "Talk Timbers," airs every Wednesday evening beginning at 6 p.m. (Pacific) on flagship station 750 The Game. "Talk Timbers" provides team and league news as well as interviews with Timbers coaches and players during the season, and also features regular updates on T2 and Portland Thorns FC. This week's guests included Timbers assistant coach Miles Joseph and defender Larrys Mabiala. Fans can submit questions, provide comments or simply follow the conversation on the show on Twitter with the hashtag #TalkTimbers.
Fans can tune in to the show live on 750 The Game or listen online at www.750thegame.com. Available podcasts can be downloaded at www.timbers.com/news/timbers-podcast-network.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 18, 2018
- Revolution Fall to Real Salt Lake, 4-1 - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes to Honor Most Dedicated Members of the Quakes Family with Devotion Scarves this Sunday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 18, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- LAFC, Kaiser Permanente, adidas and U.S. Soccer Foundaton to Build Futsal Court for South Los Angeles Youth - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Launches "Rave Green Certification" Sustainability Program for Washington State Schools - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC and YouTube TV to Host Black & Gold Playoff Rally on Sunday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- Dynamo to Unveil U.S. Open Cup Championship Banner Sunday - Houston Dynamo FC
- Red Bulls Travel Down NJ Turnpike to Face Union on Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- Shorthanded 'Caps unable to stave off SKC's second-half flurry - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting KC Rallies for 4-1 Win at Vancouver - Sporting Kansas City
- Seattle Sounders FC Clinches 10th Consecutive Postseason Berth with 2-1 Win in Orlando, Equalling MLS Record - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Fall 1-0 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC in MLS Season Opener at Rio Tinto Stadium
- Timbers Open Quarterfinals of 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League vs. Club AmÉrica on April 28 at Providence Park
- Timbers Acquire $225,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Advance to Quarterfinals of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Behind 5-0 Win over C.D. Marathón
- Timbers Open CONCACAF Champions League Play with 2-2 Road Draw against C.D. Marathon in First Leg