Sounders FC Launches "Rave Green Certification" Sustainability Program for Washington State Schools
SEATTLE, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC today announced the creation of an exciting new program that furthers the club's commitment to sustainability and empowering the education of youth to implement sustainable practices. Working in partnership with Washington Green Schools, Sounders FC is launching "Rave Green Certification" for schools across Washington State.
Rave Green Certification honors schools that have demonstrated outstanding environmental leadership through taking action that makes their communities greener and healthier. Schools achieving this certification are eligible to win Sounders FC prizes and experiences for students, such as autographed memorabilia, player meet-and-greets and match tickets.
Schools achieve Rave Green Certification by reaching or sustaining Gold or Platinum status as Washington Green Schools. To begin the process, schools become certified as Green Schools when environmental action projects are completed on their campuses, focusing on areas such as waste, energy, transportation or planting school gardens. Schools reaching Rave Green Certification have completed between three and six action projects and have demonstrated significant and lasting commitments to environmental leadership.
Rave Green Certification underwent a soft launch earlier this year, with 16 schools qualifying. All schools received a congratulatory video message from Head Coach Brian Schmetzer, Osvaldo Alonso, Cristian Roldan and Stefan Frei. Four of the Rave Green Certified schools - represented by 300 students and their families - were able to attend a Sounders FC home match. Schools that were unable to travel received autographed Sounders FC jerseys.
Furthering the club's pledge to be a community leader in sustainability, Sounders FC also announced its newest service project with Washington Green Schools, which involves working with fifth graders and the green team at Van Asselt Elementary in Beacon Hill/Rainier Valley to rebuild school garden beds, develop a composting system and improve the trail through the school's wetland.
The service project is set for this Friday, October 19, from 9:00 a.m. PT to 1:00 p.m. PT. Sounders FC staff, Washington Green Schools staff, and students and staff from Van Asselt will take part in the projects.
Van Asselt is a focus for RAVE Foundation and Sounders FC investments. Approximately 85% of Van Asselt students are on the free or reduced lunch program and 60% are English language learners. Many students are children of East African immigrants, with soccer being their sport of choice. The school has identified attendance as a main goal this year - and as such, RAVE has provided tickets and other rewards for students with good attendance. Van Asselt is also an ideal partner in sustainability, as its grounds are surrounded by wetlands that, when made accessible, can be integrated into the school's science curriculum. The garden beds that Friday's service project will revive will be used to teach students the value of growing food and composting.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 18, 2018
- Revolution Fall to Real Salt Lake, 4-1 - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes to Honor Most Dedicated Members of the Quakes Family with Devotion Scarves this Sunday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 18, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- LAFC, Kaiser Permanente, adidas and U.S. Soccer Foundaton to Build Futsal Court for South Los Angeles Youth - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Launches "Rave Green Certification" Sustainability Program for Washington State Schools - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC and YouTube TV to Host Black & Gold Playoff Rally on Sunday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- Dynamo to Unveil U.S. Open Cup Championship Banner Sunday - Houston Dynamo FC
- Red Bulls Travel Down NJ Turnpike to Face Union on Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- Shorthanded 'Caps unable to stave off SKC's second-half flurry - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting KC Rallies for 4-1 Win at Vancouver - Sporting Kansas City
- Seattle Sounders FC Clinches 10th Consecutive Postseason Berth with 2-1 Win in Orlando, Equalling MLS Record - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Second Half Surge Propels Sounders FC to 4-0 Opening Match Win over Minnesota United
- Sounders FC Finalizes Roster Ahead of 2021 Campaign
- Sounders FC Loans Midfielder Shandon Hopeau to San Antonio FC
- Sounders FC Announces Complete Regional Broadcast Lineup for 2021 Season
- Sounders FC Statement on Season Ticket Member Pre-Sale