Shorthanded 'Caps unable to stave off SKC's second-half flurry
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC (12W-13L-7D) struck first in their massive Western Conference clash on Wednesday evening but Sporting Kansas City (16W-8L-8D) staged a second-half comeback at BC Place to secure a 4-1 road victory.
With the loss, Whitecaps FC remain three points behind Real Salt Lake for the sixth and final playoff position, and two below seventh-place LA Galaxy. The three clubs each have two matches left on their respective schedules. Felipe opened his 'Caps account to give his side the halftime lead, but Sporting KC scored four unanswered goals in the second frame, including two from Dániel Sallói, to garner all three points.
Vancouver, who had five players unavailable after recently being away on international duty, took the driver seat in the 42nd minute when Kei Kamara won a loose ball at the 18-yard line, then teed it up for Felipe at the top of the box. The left-footed volley found the bottom left corner, giving the Brazilian midfielder his first goal in a WFC kit.
The home side threatened to pad their lead with a pair of chances around the hour-mark but Nicolás Mezquida's attempt from close range was denied by SKC keeper Tim Melia, then Brek Shea's header went wide of target.
Sporting equalized not long after when Yohan Croizet banged in a Matt Besler cross, finding the net from 18 yards in the 62nd minute.
The visitors struck again 20 minutes later, when Khiry Shelton won a battle for possession inside the WFC box in transition, then left the ball for Sallói's right-footed shot inside the far post.
Teenager Gianluca Busio and Sallói added another pair of goals in added time for Sporting KC for the 4-1 final.
Kamara was shown a red card after the final whistle, which results in a suspension in their next match on Sunday, October 21 against Los Angeles Football Club. Kickoff at Banc of California Stadium is at 2:25 p.m. PT live on TSN1/4 and TSN Radio 1040.
The 'Caps are back home on Sunday, October 28 when they host Portland Timbers at BC Place for the regular season finale. Visit whitecapsfc.com for ticket information.
MCMILLAN 'CAPS CORNER KICK DONATIONS
For every 'Caps corner kick at home, McMillan donates $100 to the United Way. An additional $500 is donated for every goal scored off a corner kick. This match McMillan Corners for Kids has donated $200 for a running total of $9,900.
Budweiser Man of the Match: Brett Levis
Referee: Armando Villarreal
42' - VAN - Felipe (Kei Kamara)
62' - SKC - Yohan Croizet (Matt Besler)
82' - SKC - Dániel Sallói (Khiry Shelton)
90+4' - SKC - Gianluca Busio (Johnny Russell)
90+7' - SKC - Dániel Sallói (Khiry Shelton)
Possession: VAN 46.3% - SKC 53.7%
Shots: VAN 10 - SKC 20
Shots on Goal: VAN 3 - SKC 8
Saves: VAN 4 - SKC 2
Fouls: VAN 7 - SKC 8
Offsides: VAN 2 - SKC 1
Corners: VAN 2 - SKC 4
Duels won: VAN 41 - SKC 50
Tackles won: VAN 13 - SKC 12
53' - SKC - Seth Sinovic
FT - VAN - Kei Kamara
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
1.Stefan MarinoviÄ; 28.Jake Nerwinski, 18.Jose Aja, 22.Aaron Maund, 46.Brett Levis (17.Marcel de Jong 77'); 77.Jordon Mutch; 19.Erik Hurtado, 8.Felipe (31.Russell Teibert 69'), 11.Nicolás Mezquida, 20.Brek Shea (13.Cristian Techera 68'); 23.Kei Kamara ©
Substitutes not used
12.Brian Rowe, 3.Sean Franklin, 9.Anthony Blondell, 15.Roberto Dominguez
Sporting Kansas City
29.Tim Melia; 8.Graham Zusi, 3.Ike Opara, 5.Matt Besler ©, 15.Seth Sinovic; 17.Roger Espinoza, 6.Ilie Sánchez, 10.Yohan Croizet (13.Gianluca Busio 63'); 12.Gerso Fernandes (7.Johnny Russell 63'), 11.Diego Rubio (14.Khiry Shelton 57'), 20.Daniel Sallói
Substitutes not used
26.Jaylin Lindsey, 1.Adrian Zendejas, 4.Brad Evans, 30.Andreu Fontas
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 18, 2018
- Revolution Fall to Real Salt Lake, 4-1 - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes to Honor Most Dedicated Members of the Quakes Family with Devotion Scarves this Sunday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 18, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- LAFC, Kaiser Permanente, adidas and U.S. Soccer Foundaton to Build Futsal Court for South Los Angeles Youth - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Launches "Rave Green Certification" Sustainability Program for Washington State Schools - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC and YouTube TV to Host Black & Gold Playoff Rally on Sunday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- Dynamo to Unveil U.S. Open Cup Championship Banner Sunday - Houston Dynamo FC
- Red Bulls Travel Down NJ Turnpike to Face Union on Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- Shorthanded 'Caps unable to stave off SKC's second-half flurry - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting KC Rallies for 4-1 Win at Vancouver - Sporting Kansas City
- Seattle Sounders FC Clinches 10th Consecutive Postseason Berth with 2-1 Win in Orlando, Equalling MLS Record - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Cavallini header leads 'Caps over rival Timbers on opening night
- Whitecaps FC Team up with MNP for a Strategic Sponsorship
- Whitecaps FC to Host 2021 Virtual Fan Fest Delivered by DoorDash
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC and Corus Entertainment Announce Expansive Broadcast Partnership
- Vancouver 86ers Collection Launched as Part of Retro-Inspired Since '96 Collaboration