Dynamo to Unveil U.S. Open Cup Championship Banner Sunday
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo will unveil the banner celebrating their latest championship during halftime of Sunday afternoon's home match against Seattle Sounders FC, presented by Bud Light.
The Dynamo captured the 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup championship on Wednesday, Sept. 26 when they defeated the Philadelphia Union 3-0 in the tournament final. The championship banner will be unveiled at halftime of Sunday's match. As part of the banner unveiling, celebrated speed painter Dan Dunn will create a one-of-a-kind work of art live on the field celebrating the Dynamo's Open Cup title.
The 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup title was the third domestic championship for the Dynamo. The club won the MLS Cup in 2006 and 2007, its first two seasons in Houston. With three titles under their belt, the Dynamo have more trophies than any other current professional franchise in Houston, despite being the city's newest franchise. Only the Houston Comets, which ceased WNBA operations in 2008, have more championships than the Dynamo with their four WNBA titles from 1997-2000.
Founded in 1914, the Open Cup is the oldest national soccer competition in the United States and the second-oldest team championship in American sports. The 2018 tournament was the 105th edition of the competition. Teams from every level of soccer, from local amateur and semi-pro sides up to Major League Soccer, are included in the single-elimination tournament which ultimately crowns the champion of American soccer.
Sunday's match is the final home contest of the year for the Dynamo and will be Friend Appreciation Day presented by Bud Light. The first 2,500 fans through the gates will each receive two free Dynamo-branded koozies (one for you and one for a friend) courtesy of Bud Light. After the final whistle, several lucky fans will have the opportunity to win the jersey worn by one of their favorite Dynamo players as part of the club's annual Jerseys Off Our Backs giveaway.
Tickets for Sunday's home finale remain available starting as low as $29. Fans may purchase tickets online at HoustonDynamo.com, by phone at 713-276-GOAL or in person at the BBVA Compass Stadium box office.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 18, 2018
- Revolution Fall to Real Salt Lake, 4-1 - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes to Honor Most Dedicated Members of the Quakes Family with Devotion Scarves this Sunday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 18, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- LAFC, Kaiser Permanente, adidas and U.S. Soccer Foundaton to Build Futsal Court for South Los Angeles Youth - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Launches "Rave Green Certification" Sustainability Program for Washington State Schools - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC and YouTube TV to Host Black & Gold Playoff Rally on Sunday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- Dynamo to Unveil U.S. Open Cup Championship Banner Sunday - Houston Dynamo FC
- Red Bulls Travel Down NJ Turnpike to Face Union on Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- Shorthanded 'Caps unable to stave off SKC's second-half flurry - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting KC Rallies for 4-1 Win at Vancouver - Sporting Kansas City
- Seattle Sounders FC Clinches 10th Consecutive Postseason Berth with 2-1 Win in Orlando, Equalling MLS Record - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo FC Stories
- Houston Dynamo FC Open Season with 2-1 Win over San Jose
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Open MLS Regular Season against San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Football Club & Lexus Partner to Drive Luxury Fan Experiences at BBVA Stadium
- Houston Dynamo FC Home Opener Sold Out
- Houston Dynamo FC Fall to FC Dallas in Preseason Finale