Timbers Fall to Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3-2 at Providence Park
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers fell to Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3-2 at Providence Park tonight. Yimmi Chara and Dairon Asprilla each tallied a goal in the first half.
Goal Scorers & Playmakers
Tonight's match marks the fourth time Yimmi Chara and Dairon Asprilla have recorded goals in the same match in 2021. Y. Chara scored the opening goal of the match in the 15th minute tonight, while also providing an assist for Dairon's Asprilla goal in the 42nd minute. Y. Chara's goal was the Colombian's sixth of the regular season, and fourth in the last nine matches (Houston, Real Salt Lake, LAFC, Vancouver). With his assist, Y. Chara ranks third on the team with five. Asprilla scored his ninth goal of the regular season, ranking second in the team behind Felipe Mora (11). Asprilla has scored four goals in the last six matches (LAFC, Real Salt Lake, LAFC, Vancouver). Christian Paredes recorded his first assist of the 2021 campaign tonight.
POR - Yimmi Chara (Cristhian Paredes), 15th minute: Sebastián Blanco played a curling cross towards the penalty spot that was headed away by Vancouver's defense. Cristhian Paredes picked up the loose ball near the top of the box, playing a square pass to Yimmi Chara who sent a left footed shot into the lower left-hand corner of the goal.
POR - Dairon Asprilla (Yimmi Chara), 42nd minute: Y. Chara slipped a pass into the box for Dairon Asprilla, who took one touch and fired a shot into the upper netting of the goal.
VAN - Deiber Caicedo (Janio Bikel), 63rd minute: Deiber Caicedo received the ball from Janio Bikel in the midfield and completed a 30-yard run, dribbling past Timbers' defense to shoot and score near the six-yard box.
VAN - Brian White (Bruno Gaspar, Déiber Caicedo), 75th minute: Caicedo played the ball wide and near the touchline for Bruno Gaspar, who whipped in a cross towards the far post. Brian White met the ball in the air and drove a header just inside the post and into the side netting.
VAN - Cristian Dájome (penalty kick), 82nd minute: Portland conceded a foul in the box, awarding Vancouver a penalty kick. Cristian Dájome converted the attempt.
The Timbers are 14-12-4 (46 pts) and in fourth place in the Western Conference.
Portland is still tied for the most home wins in the West (9) and tied for third most home wins in the league.
The Timbers have the longest active streak for consecutive games with a goal scored (20) in the league.
Dairon Asprilla scored his ninth goal of the 2021 campaign and 16th overall with the Timbers.
Asprilla is the only Timbers player to appear in all 30 regular season matches in 2021.
Yimmi Chara tallied his sixth goal of the season. He has scored four goals in the last nine matches dating back to Sept. 3.
Y. Chara also recorded his fifth assist of the season, ranking third on the team behind Sebastián Blanco and Marvin Loría (6).
Y. Chara ranks third in goals scored in the team behind Felipe Mora (11) and Dairon Asprilla (9).
Christian Paredes recorded his first assist of the season tonight, and sixth overall for Portland.
Paredes is the 17th player to record an assist for the Timbers this season.
The Timbers will play their third match in eight days when they travel to face the Colorado Rapids on Oct. 23 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park. Saturday's match kicks off at 6:00 p.m. (Pacific) and will feature a local broadcast on FOX 12 Plus with radio broadcasts on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland Timbers (14-12-4, 46pts) vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC (11-9-10, 43pts)
Oct. 20, 2021 - Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 2 0 2
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0 3 3
POR: Y. Chara (Paredes), 15
POR: Asprilla (Y.Chara), 42
VAN: Caicedo (Bikel), 63
VAN: White (Gaspar, Caicedo), 75
VAN: Dájome (penalty kick), 82
VAN: White (caution), 90+2
POR: Paredes (caution), 90+2
POR: GK Clark, D Van Rankin (McGraw, 86), D Mabiala, D Zuparic, D Bonilla (Loría, 86), M Fochive, M Paredes, M Y. Chara (Valeri, 75), M Blanco © (Moreno, 64), F Asprilla, F Mora (Niezgoda, 75)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, GK Sulte, M Bodily, M Zambrano
TOTAL SHOTS: 12 (three players tied, 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 3 (Asprilla, 2); FOULS: 16 (three players tied, 3); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 1
VAN: GK Crepeau, D Godinho (Gaspar, 61), D Gutierrez, D Brown (Dajome, 46), D Nerwinski, M Caicedo, M Bikel, M Gauld (Veselinovic, 88), M Jungwirth, M Teibert © (Owusu, 73), F Cavallini (White, 61)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Hasal, M Baldisimo, M Metcalfe, M Raposo
TOTAL SHOTS: 11 (four players tied, 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (four players tied, 1); FOULS: 10 (three players tied, 2); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 1
Referee: Guido Gonzales Jr.
Assistant Referees: Ian Anderson, Corey Rockwell
Fourth official: Baldomero Toledo
VAR: Joe Dickerson
Weather: Rainy, 57 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 21, 2021
- Nashville SC Watch Party and Gibson Guitar Riff off at Hard Rock Cafe on Saturday - Nashville SC
- Know Your Opponent: Rapids Look Ahead to Portland, Another Chance to Clinch Spot in Playoffs - Colorado Rapids
- SEA 2026 Announces Executive Committee and Launches New Platform in Advance of FIFA's Official Visit on October 31 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Cristian Arango Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 31 - MLS
- Rapids Defender Danny Wilson Named to MLS Team of the Week Bench - Colorado Rapids
- Kikanovic, Nathan Selected to MLS Team of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- Christian Makoun Named to MLS Team of the WeekÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Five Points: Sweet SpotÃÂ - New York City FC
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: October 21, 2021 - New England Revolution
- CF Montréal Exercises Permanent Transfer Option for Joaquín Torres - Club de Foot Montreal
- D.C. United and Audi Continue Shared Commitment to Sustainability with First-Of-Its-Kind Theme Match at Audi Field on October 27 - D.C. United
- Austin FC Falls 4-0 to San Jose Earthquakes - Austin FC
- Wondolowski scores 169th MLS goal in Dominating Win - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Fall to Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3-2 at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- 'Caps jump into a playoff spot with come-from-behind victory in Portland - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sounders FC Clinches Top-Four Seed in Western Conference with Road Point in Colorado - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 3-0 Shutout Road Win over Houston Dynamo FC at PNC Stadium on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Rapids Draw 1-1 against Seattle to Extend Home Unbeaten Streak - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Maintains League's Longest Home Unbeaten Streak, Remains Second in Eastern Conference - Nashville SC
- Cristian Arango Hat Trick Leads LAFC Past Dallas - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo Fall to LA Galaxy 3-0 - Houston Dynamo FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Host Western Conference Final against Real Salt Lake on Saturday, December 4 at Providence Park
- Timbers Advance to Western Conference Final with 1-0 Win over Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Kick off 2022 MLS Regular Season against New England Revolution on February 26 at Providence Park
- Timbers Advance to Western Conference Semifinals with 3-1 Win over Minnesota United FC
- Timbers, Thorns FC Team up with Providence to Host COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic for Children Ages 5 to 11 at Providence Park