Timbers Fall to FC Cincinnati on the Road
CINCINNATI - Playing their third straight road match to start the season, the Portland Timbers fell 3-0 to FC Cincinnati at Nippert Stadium in front of 32,250 fans on Sunday evening.
FC Cincinnati took a 1-0 lead on a set piece in the 15th minute. Leonardo Bertone served the ball into the box from 25 yards out and Kendall Waston deposited a diving header into the back of the net.
Portland generated consecutive scoring chances in the 32nd minute. Cristhian Paredes laid the ball off for Bill Tuiloma at the edge of the box, and he unleashed a long-range strike, forcing a diving save by FC Cincinnati goalkeeper Spencer Richey. On the ensuing corner kick, Larrys Mabiala flicked the ball on for Dairon Asprilla near the left post, but his shot from point-blank range was also saved by Richey.
FC Cincinnati added two goals in a three-minute span in the second half to increase its lead to 3-0. Roland Lamah's initial shot took a deflection and Allan Cruz sent a back-heel shot just inside the left post from close range in the 61st minute.
Less than two minutes later, Victor Ulloa sent a cross from the left side for Darren Mattocks, who played a cross back to the left post for Mathieu Deplagne, who converted from close range in the 63rd minute.
Diego Valeri narrowly missed scoring for the Timbers in the 78th minute. Valeri chased down the ball after his initial corner kick was cleared and fired a shot from the left wing inside the box that Richey parried just wide of the right post.
Claude Dielna, Cristhian Paredes and Bill Tuiloma made their season debuts in the match.
Dielna made his Timbers debut in the match.
Diego Valeri played in his 200th MLS match Portland (regular season and playoffs).
Dairon Asprilla, Dielna, Lucas Melano, Paredes and Tuiloma all earned their first start of the season.
In the 44-year history of the Timbers, Nippert Stadium is the 106th different visiting stadium the club has played a league match in.
FC Cincinnati is the 107th different team to the Timbers have played since the club's founding in 1975.
Following an international break, the Timbers return to action against the LA Galaxy on Sunday, March 31, at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, Calif. Beginning at 6 p.m. (Pacific), the March 31 match features a national television broadcast on ESPN2 with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland Timbers (0-2-1, 1pt) vs. FC Cincinnati (1-1-1, 4pts)
March 17, 2019 - Nippert Stadium (Cincinnati, Ohio)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 0 0 0
FC Cincinnati 1 2 3
CIN: Waston (Bertone), 15
CIN: Cruz, 61
CIN: Deplagne (Mattocks), 63
POR: Mabiala (caution), 45+3
CIN: Waston (caution), 46
POR: Melano (caution), 65
POR: Mabiala (ejection), 70
CIN: Bertone (caution), 90
POR: GK Attinella, D Valentin, D Mabiala, D Dielna, D Villafaña, M Paredes, M Tuiloma, M Asprilla (Polo, 66), M Valeri ©, M Blanco (Guzmán, 79), F Melano (Ebobisse, 67)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Clark, D Cascante, D Moreira, M Flores
TOTAL SHOTS: 10 (Asprilla, Valeri, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 3 (Three players tied, 1); FOULS: 13 (Mabiala, 3); OFFSIDES:2; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 4
CIN: GK Richey, D Powell, D Hagglund, D Waston ©, D Deplagne, M Cruz, M Bertone, M Ulloa, M Lamah (Garza, 81), F Manneh (Ledesma, 85), F Adi (Mattocks, 46)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Hague, D Hoyte, M Saief, M Stanko
TOTAL SHOTS: 17 (Three players tied, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 7 (Cruz, Deplagne, 2); FOULS: 13 (Three players tied, 2); OFFSIDES: 5; CORNER KICKS: 10; SAVES: 3
Referee: Ismail Elfath
Assistant Referees: Kathryn Nebsitt, Jeffrey Greeson
4th Official: Marcos DeOliveira
VAR: Kevin Terry Jr.
Weather: Cloudy, 51 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 17, 2019
- Atlanta United Draws 1-1 against Philadelphia Union - Atlanta United FC
- Orange and Blue record first-ever MLS win in home opener - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Fall to Toronto FC, 3-2 - New England Revolution
- Timbers Fall to FC Cincinnati on the Road - Portland Timbers
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 2 - 2 Los Angeles FC - New York City FC
- LAFC Draws NYCFC 2-2 in First Road Match of the Season - Los Angeles FC
- Goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez Called to U.S. Men's National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Five Houston Dynamo Players Called up for International Duty - Houston Dynamo
- MNUFC Fall to Galaxy 3-2 - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, Minnesota United FC 2 - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Beat Real Salt Lake 5-0 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Drops 5-0 Result at D.C. United - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, Thorns FC Name Collin Romer Vice President of Communications
- Paredes, Zambrano Called up for International Matches
- Timbers Clinch Berth in Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs with 3-1 Win over San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 3, 2019
- Timbers Earn 2-2 Road Draw against Sporting Kansas City