D.C. United Beat Real Salt Lake 5-0 at Audi Field
Wayne Rooney scored a penalty kick goal in the 34th minute after Paul Arriola drew a foul in the box. It was his first goal of the 2019 MLS Season.
Rooney scored a second goal in the 41st minute. It was his fifth multi-goal performance in 23 regular season games for the Black-and-Red..
Leonardo Jara assisted Rooney's second goal. It was his first assist in MLS and with United.
Wayne Rooney scored a third goal in the 65th minute to record his first hat-trick for the Black-and-Red.
Lucas Rodríguez scored in the 76th minute. It was his first career goal for United.
Ulises Segura scored his first goal of the 2019 season in the 80th minute.
Júnior Moreno assisted on two goals in the win; he now leads United with three assists.
Goalkeeper Bill Hamid recorded his third straight clean sheet in the win; his 57th career shutout.
RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando played his final regular season match in D.C., where he starred for United from 2002-2006.
The Black-and-Red are now 8-9-5 all-time against Real Salt Lake.
United are now 7-1-3 at home against RSL all-time.
This was the first game at Audi Field between the two teams.
The last time the Black-and-Red defeated an opponent 5-0 was September 29, 2018 against Montreal Impact at Audi Field
Wayne Rooney's hat-trick was United's first since Luciano Acosta's three-goal performance on August 12, 2018 in a 3-2 win over Orlando City SC.
United remain undefeated this season after three matches.
The Black-and-Red are the only team in the MLS to record clean sheets in their first three matches to start the season.
Goals by Half
Real Salt Lake Lineup:
Nick Rimando, Brooks Lennon, Marcelo SIlva, Nedum Onouha, Aaron Herrera, Jefferson Savarino, Everton Luiz (Sam Johnson 62'), Damir Kreilach (Sebastián Saucedo 63'), Albert Rusnak, Kyle Beckerman (Nick Besler 73'), Corey Baird
Unused Substitutes: Justin Portillo, Donny Toia, Andrew Putna, Pablo Ruiz
D.C. United Lineup:
Bill Hamid, Leonardo Jara, Joseph Mora, Steven Birnbaum, Frédéric Brillant, Luciano Acosta, Paul Arriola (Ulises Segura 69'), Russell Canouse (Chris Durkin 73'), Júnior Moreno, Lucas Rodríguez (Zoltán Stieber 79'), Wayne Rooney (c)
Unused Substitutes: Chris Seitz, Quincy Amarikwa, Jalen Robinson, Chris McCann
Referee: David Gantar
Assistant Referees: Jeff Hosking, Eduardo Mariscal
Fourth Official: Kevin Broadley
VAR: Silviu Petrescu
AVAR: Craig Lowry
D.C. United 5 (2-0-1, 7 points) v. Real Salt Lake 0 (1-1-1, 4 points)
2019 MLS Regular Season
March 16, 2019 - Audi Field, Washington, DC
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 17, 2019
- Atlanta United Draws 1-1 against Philadelphia Union - Atlanta United FC
- Orange and Blue record first-ever MLS win in home opener - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Fall to Toronto FC, 3-2 - New England Revolution
- Timbers Fall to FC Cincinnati on the Road - Portland Timbers
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 2 - 2 Los Angeles FC - New York City FC
- LAFC Draws NYCFC 2-2 in First Road Match of the Season - Los Angeles FC
- Goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez Called to U.S. Men's National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Five Houston Dynamo Players Called up for International Duty - Houston Dynamo
- MNUFC Fall to Galaxy 3-2 - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, Minnesota United FC 2 - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Beat Real Salt Lake 5-0 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Drops 5-0 Result at D.C. United - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Beat Colorado Rapids 3-2 on the Road
- D.C. United Announce Two Washington Spirit Matches at Audi Field
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 with Montreal at Audi Field
- D.C. United Fall to LAFC 4-0 at Audi Field
- D.C. United Announce Complimentary FloFC Subscriptions for Black-And-Red Fans in April