Goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez Called to U.S. Men's National Team Duty
Frisco, Texas - FC Dallas Homegrown goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez has been called to the United States Men's National Team, joining midfielders Bryan Acosta (Honduras) and Carlos Gruezo (Ecuador) on national team duty this coming week.
Gonzalez and the U.S. Men's National Team will face Gruezo and Ecuador on March 21 at Orlando City Stadium, before heading to Houston to prepare for a match against Chile at BBVA Compass Stadium on March 26. Both matches will be shown live at 7PM CT on ESPN2, UniMás and Univision Deportes. Ecuador will also face Acosta's Honduras on March 26 in the only friendly for Los Catrachos during the international window.
This is the third USMNT call-up for Gonzalez after a 2017 call-up for a Gold Cup knockout stage match and a 2017 call-up for an international friendly against Portugal. That same year, Gonzalez made a one-time switch to represent the U.S. national team on the international level after representing Mexico at the youth level.
FC Dallas signed Gonzalez, 23, to the club's 10th Homegrown Player contract on March 21, 2013. He has started all three matches for Dallas in 2019, posting one shutout, four saves and giving up two goals to begin the MLS season. Gonzalez started 21 games in 2018 and a career-high 29 in 2017.
Gruezo, 23, has 21 appearances with the Ecuadorian National Team. He was called up last November and appeared in wins against Peru and Panama. The defensive midfielder has started in all three matches for FC Dallas this season and was named to MLS Team of the Week for Week Two following his performance in the 2-0 win against LA Galaxy, leading FC Dallas in tackles, gained possessions and touches.
Acosta, 25, has 33 appearances with Honduras, most recently against Chile and Panama in last November's international friendlies. Acosta signed with FC Dallas on January 8 and has started in all three matches for the club, scoring his first MLS goal against LA on March 9.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 17, 2019
- Atlanta United Draws 1-1 against Philadelphia Union - Atlanta United FC
- Orange and Blue record first-ever MLS win in home opener - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Fall to Toronto FC, 3-2 - New England Revolution
- Timbers Fall to FC Cincinnati on the Road - Portland Timbers
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 2 - 2 Los Angeles FC - New York City FC
- LAFC Draws NYCFC 2-2 in First Road Match of the Season - Los Angeles FC
- Goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez Called to U.S. Men's National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Five Houston Dynamo Players Called up for International Duty - Houston Dynamo
- MNUFC Fall to Galaxy 3-2 - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, Minnesota United FC 2 - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Beat Real Salt Lake 5-0 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Drops 5-0 Result at D.C. United - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- FC Dallas Draws with Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Hosts Liga MX's Club Tijuana Xoloitzcuintles de Caliente in International Friendly on July 7 at Toyota Stadium
- FC Dallas Hosts LAFC Tomorrow: 3 Things You Need to Know
- FC Dallas Falls to Los Angeles FC 2-0
- FC Dallas Visits LAFC Tonight: 5 Things You Need to Know